Re: [AZ] 2013 ASA Seed Exchange

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 24 9:57 AM
      Bob and Lindy,
      I have already cleaned and sent 18 packets of seed to the ARS exchange, but I have seeds from five other native azaleas, that I just started cleaning, and would be happy to send them cleaned or podded.  One large batch of seed is from perhaps my best flammeum, a tall, fastigiate deep red I call Tower Blaze.  Do you want them? I have good photos for them all too.  Here is the descriptive list:

      12-24-2005
      Mike Creel, Lexington, SC
      Names in quotes my cultivars.

      Glory Bee, large pure yellow austrinum hybrid from Eugene Aromi, OP, growing near Aromi
      Lemonade.

      R. flammeum "Denmark Bluffs," deep red, seedling from near Denmark, SC, only known stand of
      flammeum on South Edisto River, OP, near other flammeums & Keowee Sunset.

      R. flammeum "Tower Blaze" X deep red flammeum nearby, strictly upright, fastigiate and a good
      orange-red.  Perhaps my  best flammeum.  MUCH SEED

      R. flammeum Big Orange Truss, vivid orange, large flowers, from Transplant Nursery, OP, between
      two yellow choptanks, seedlings often tricolored. May have been renamed Harry's Honey.

      R. periclymeniodes, "Flat Creek Fuchsia," a vivid deep fuchsia with white standard, little or no
      fragrance, stoloniferous, from the yard of Mrs. Rosa (Charles) of Effingham, SC once collected as
      a layer in Lancaster County, SC, near Forty‑Acre Rock, area now Flat Creek Heritage Preserve.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 6, 2013
        Mike,

        If Lindy didn't answer already, yes, we want your seed, preferably
        cleaned.

        Please send Lindy the seed, and send me the pictures.

        Bob
        --------------

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 6, 2013
          Lindy did respond and I should have the seeds cleaned shortly to mail him.  I just found some new smaller sieves to help in cleaning.  I will email you the photos from a different address which automatically downsizes.  What size image is appropriate"

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 7, 2013
            Mike (and any others who send me pictures),

            Many thanks for the seed.

            Please send me pictures to be published on the web either full-size
            or at about 1MB each, and send them to me at <bstelloh@...>. I
            prefer to downsize them myself, and I might want to crop them first.

            On the other hand, if you are sending pictures for this mail list,
            please DO resize them to around 100KB as described at the end of each
            email from this list (and I think Yahoo might be doing that for you
            if you don't).

            On Jan 6, 2013, at 11:07 PM, Mike Creel wrote:

            > Lindy did respond and I should have the seeds cleaned shortly to
            > mail him. I just found some new smaller sieves to help in
            > cleaning. I will email you the photos from a different address
            > which automatically downsizes. What size image is appropriate"
            >
            > Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
            > Lexington, South Carolina

          • Bruce Clyburn
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 21, 2013
              I've been checking twice a week since this post was made on Dec 17, 2012 and haven't seen the release of a 2013 seed list. Peculiar, many of the other links on the left hand side bar menu are 'dead' as well. Anybody have any information?

              Bruce Clyburn
              New Waterford, NS

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 21, 2013
                We are busily getting the list of seed lots for 2013 ready and it may
                be published yet this week.

                We are investigating a few reports of problems with the Azalea
                Society website. So far, it seems to be trouble with Internet
                Explorer version 9, and only intermittent trouble, and restricted to
                specific computers. That seems to be related to the users rather than
                to a problem with the website.

                Please let us know which of the side bar menu links are dead, and
                which browser you are using.

                Bob

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 21, 2013
                  Bob:

                  Thank you for that update on the 2013 seed list. I am running Explorer 9 and the problem is intermittent.  All sidebar links go dead except FAQ. If you try later they come back. I visited ASA on a second computer with Firefox; it seems fine.

                  Bruce

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 31, 2013
                    Mike,

                    I finally have the list of seed lots online. Thank you for sending us
                    some seed.

                    I noticed you had sent me a picture of 'Col. Mosby' a while ago, but
                    no description of a seed lot involving it. Now Lindy Johnson says she
                    has a seed packet from you which she described as "Col. Mosby, large
                    orange Austrinum X Hotspur Exbury Dodd hybrid, OP". I'm not sure what
                    to make of that. Maybe the seed is 'Col. Mosby' op, and the rest of
                    her info is your description of 'Col. Mosby'? Anyway, would you
                    please describe that seed packet the way you did for the other seed
                    you sent? Then I can add it to the list.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 1, 2013
                      A brief description was in the original list of the 6 seed packets I sent, but here is the expanded version.

                      Colonel Mosby, large orange-red (austrinum X Hotspur Exbury Dodd Confederate Series hybrid) growing near R. calendulaceum Flat Rock Red, OP

                      Col. Mosby is named for the Confederate hero Major Mosby, later promoted to Colonel.  It is a tall reliable bloomer with large flowers and huge seed pods, a tetraploid certainly.

                      Do you know if Caroline R. Dean of Opelika, Alabama is still living and able to talk by phone or email?  I thought of her recently while reading the article about Mt. Cheaha State Park.  We used to correspond by email and I have kept all my emails well organized by month in date order in text files since the late 1980s.  I found our correspondence from 2005 when she sent me her photo of a yellow cumberlandense at Mt. Cheaha State Park.  Online I found an article about her in 2012.  I just emailed her at an old address I kept from 2005, but  no answer yet.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 3, 2013
                        Thanks, Mike. It will be on the updated list, soon.

                        Audrey and I saw Caroline Dean early in 2011, and again with John
                        Brown in July 2011. She will be 95 on July 7, and her son Bobby is
                        living with her. The only email address I've known for her is
                        Caroline Dean <deancar@...>; I don't remember ever talking to
                        her on the phone.

                        On Feb 1, 2013, at 10:37 PM, Mike Creel wrote:

                        > A brief description was in the original list of the 6 seed packets
                        > I sent, but here is the expanded version.
                        >
                        > Colonel Mosby, large orange-red (austrinum X Hotspur Exbury Dodd
                        > Confederate Series hybrid) growing near R. calendulaceum Flat Rock
                        > Red, OP
                        >
                        > Col. Mosby is named for the Confederate hero Major Mosby, later
                        > promoted to Colonel. It is a tall reliable bloomer with large
                        > flowers and huge seed pods, a tetraploid certainly.
                        >
                        > Do you know if Caroline R. Dean of Opelika, Alabama is still living
                        > and able to talk by phone or email? I thought of her recently
                        > while reading the article about Mt. Cheaha State Park. We used to
                        > correspond by email and I have kept all my emails well organized by
                        > month in date order in text files since the late 1980s. I found
                        > our correspondence from 2005 when she sent me her photo of a yellow
                        > cumberlandense at Mt. Cheaha State Park. Online I found an article
                        > about her in 2012. I just emailed her at an old address I kept
                        > from 2005, but no answer yet.
                        >
                        > Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
                        > Lexington, South Carolina

                      • Tom Schuetz
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 24, 2013
                          Returned from the Azalea Society Convention in Athens GA which had some outstanding properties on tour on Friday.  Had frost here in Mechanicsburg PA on Sunday evening which nipped early blooming small leaf rhododendrons PJM and April Blush. No azaleas opened yet, so no damage to them.

                          Tom Schuetz
                          USDA Zone 7A (as of 2012)
                        • Lightfoot, Paul
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 24, 2013
                            On Saturday of the convention, my wife sent me a photo of snow on the deck. I think our low was 29, but only a few magnolias hurt much, since not much is out. It sure was beautiful in Georgia, though. I'm wondering if our azalea and Rhodo bloom season will be compressed with the late spring.

                            Paul Lightfoot
                            Upland, IN Zone 6a as of 2012

                            Sent from my iPad

                            On Apr 24, 2013, at 10:52 AM, "Tom Schuetz" <schuetz101@...<mailto:schuetz101@...>> wrote:

                            Returned from the Azalea Society Convention in Athens GA which had some outstanding properties on tour on Friday. Had frost here in Mechanicsburg PA on Sunday evening which nipped early blooming small leaf rhododendrons PJM and April Blush. No azaleas opened yet, so no damage to them.

                            Tom Schuetz
                            schuetz101@...<mailto:schuetz101@...>
                            USDA Zone 7A (as of 2012)

                            The information in this communication is intended solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to the sender of this email, and then delete it from your system. Taylor University is not liable for the inaccurate or improper transmission of the information contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt.
                          • evelyn or david purdy
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 24, 2013
                              We had 24 F last night. No azaleas out yet, but r. dauricum blossoms didn't
                              lil\ke it. This is Omaha NE. Regards, Dave Purdy