Re: [AZ] Planting season for Encore Azaleas

  • bsperling
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2012
      I also live in 7b (Northern VA) and only lose plants to heat and
      drought, not cold. I have Autumn Sangria and Autumn Chiffon and haven't
      lost one yet.
      When planting (or transplanting) there is always some damage to
      the roots and you want to avoid those 2 stresses, so I start
      plant/transplanting in mid-October and continue to the end of April.
      Late November and December here are good times as the plants are "going
      to sleep" and won't notice the shock as much, but you want as good a
      root system as you can get when it needs water in the summer. They
      should have additional root growth by summer.
      Of course, the time range I recommend above would not apply in
      Southern CA, the Gulf Coast or Ontario, so consider when the plants are
      most dormant where you live and choose that period.
      Good luck and tell us how you did!
      Barry