Native azalea with extra flowers in one bud

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 74 KB
    In a different string the subject cropped up regarding native azaleas with more than the normal number of flowers coming from one bud.  This seems a bit uncommon, at least it is in my fairly large collection of native azaleas.  I am not talking about ball truss displays that come from a cluster of multiple flower buds.

    The only plant where I have observed this "extra flowers from one bud) phenomenon in my garden is my Pink25. Pink25 is a plant I collected from a semi-stoloniferous colony on my family farm in the coastal plain of South Carolina.  It routinely produces single buds that contain as many as 25 individual flowers.  The plant has characters that are intermediate of canescens and periclymenodes so I think it is a hybrid possessing perhaps hybrid vigor.  The site where I found it is in between a drier area in oak-hickory woods where compact periclymenoides grows and a much wetter site downhill in a creek bottom where tall canescens grows.

    A 2009 photo of Pink25 is attached.

    I have heard that the Western Azalea, occidentale, can produce up to 50 flowers from a buds.  But I have not seen photos of that.