Re: [AZ] Picture of Vines hybrid Saint Moritz? [4 Attachments]

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 20, 2012
      Dave, Thank you greatly for getting Pete Vines to answer my questions and for the photos.  That Whipped Cream is outstanding.  I have always been charmed by the W.W. Vines azalea, since it resembles my natives.  I think that an azalea like W.W. Vines would be a good parent for crossing with a yellow deciduous azalea to achieve my goal of a yellow evergreen.

      Is Springfield, Virginia close to Washington, DC?

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 29, 2012
        There is quite a bit of information from Pete Vines' 1990 catalog
        online, at
        http://www.azaleas.org/hybridgroups.html#hss
        with links to pages for his named hybrids, for his numbered hybrids,
        and for the Huang hybrids that Pete had described in that catalog,
        along with links to pictures of some of them - including 'Saint
        Moritz' - on our picture website .

        Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7
        On Nov 15, 2012, at 2:51 PM, Mike Creel wrote:

        > David and Ron:
        > Does Saint Moritz just have a pistil and no stamens. It is a
        > beautiful large flower. Could it be a triploid? Has it ever been
        > used in hybridization? Is there a web link to your Vines azaleas?
        > I like the HH Vines that resembles Primative beauty.
        >
        > Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
        > Lexington, South Carolina

      • bsperling
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 29, 2012
          Hi Bob,
          I noticed that I have 8 plants that are on the Vines named list
          but are not listed as having photos (and this year I gave away a couple
          of others that I wasn't fond of). I'm sure that others in No. VA can
          easily fill out that list with photos. How about stepping up, guys (and
          gals)!
          Barry

          Bob Stelloh wrote:
          > There is quite a bit of information from Pete Vines' 1990 catalog
          > online, at
          > http://www.azaleas.org/hybridgroups.html#hss
          > with links to pages for his named hybrids, for his numbered hybrids,
          > and for the Huang hybrids that Pete had described in that catalog,
          > along with links to pictures of some of them - including 'Saint
          > Moritz' - on our picture website .
        • Ron Rabideau
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 30, 2012
            Bob,
            That's a lot of good information. Might I suggest adding the Marshy Point
            azaleas by Harry Weiskittel? I can supply a number of pictures. There are
            many great azaleas in this fairly large group. Austin, Harry's son just
            informed us that his father has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

            Ron

            --
            Ron Rabideau
            Camden, NJ
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 27, 2012
              Ron,

              I am really sad to hear of Harry having Alzheimers. I visited him
              quite a bit when I lived in the Washington DC area, and he donated a
              lot of plants for the George Harding garden.

              I would be happy to put pictures of his hybrids on the ASA picture
              website. I would also publish descriptive info for them similar to
              the Holly Springs descriptions if you can supply the info.

              Bob

            • Ron Rabideau
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 27, 2012
                Bob,
                OK, great. It is hard to get much of a description from the Marshy Point
                catalogs or web site, but I can supply some pics and basic descriptions.
                You are free to use any info from the Rare Find Web site, but I have
                better pics than can be put up there.

                Ron

                --
                Ron Rabideau