Picture of Vines hybrid Saint Moritz?

  • Ron Rabideau
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 15, 2012
       Does anyone have a photo of the Vines hybrid 'Saint Moritz' that I can use for our catalog?

      Thanks,
      Ron Rabideau
      Rare Find
    • David Nanney
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 15, 2012

      I’m pretty excited to say I actually have, (and could find) a recent nice photo of Saint Moritz, which I forwarded full size to Ron separately.   We have developed a bed devoted to Pete Vines work.  We have 65 of his 92 plants in permanent locations with another 18 in a nursery bed getting enough size to plant out.  Leaves 9 we do not have.    Hopefully in a couple of years, I will be able to provide Bob a comprehensive set of photos for the web site.  But in the interim, we’ve gotten a good start on the collection.

      Message 3 of 14 , Nov 15, 2012
        David and Ron:
        Does Saint Moritz just have a pistil and no stamens. It is a beautiful large flower.  Could it be a triploid?  Has it ever been used in hybridization?  Is there a web link to your Vines azaleas?  I like the HH Vines that resembles Primative beauty.

        Message 4 of 14 , Nov 15, 2012

          I'd like to add one thing to Dave's comments which may not be evident by his email  I want to congratulate the Nanneys and others involved in what I think is an exemplary project organized by our Northern Virginia Chapter ASA.  Under the leadership of our President Rick Bauer and VP Carolyn Beck, the chapter has started a "Legacy Project."  Different chapter members are trying to preserve complete collections of the work from our regional hybridizers so that cultivars do not get lost.  In addition, we hope one day to find public gardens where these plants can be maintained and admired, and perhaps their hybrids will be better represented in commercial markets, too.

          Rick gave a great presentation on the Legacy Project last weekend in addition to the hybrids of Sandra McDonald.  I know he said that Dave and Leslie Nanney are working on the Holly Springs hybrids and probably some other groups, too.  Carolyn Beck is also maintaining the Holly Springs hybrids as well as those of Bob Stewart.  Rick has started working on Sandra McDonald's hybrids and I intend to join with him with that group since I have a number of them already.

          Public display gardens are harder to locate.  Working with the Middle Atlantic Chapter ARS, the Norfolk Botanical Gardens has already established the McDonald Azalea Garden, a site that features Sandra's lovely hybrids.  We'll be trying to find public display locations for some of these other hybrid groups, too.  I know members of the Vaseyi Chapter ASA and the SE Chapter ARS have established Kehr Garden near Brevard, NC.  It has a collection of rhododendrons and azaleas hybridized by the late Augie Kehr.

          I think all these people deserve kudos for their preservation work!  If chapters are looking for a great project idea, consider starting a Legacy Project in your own region.

          Don Hyatt
          McLean, VA

          Message 5 of 14 , Nov 15, 2012
            Thanks David. Your collection will serve as a valuable resource. I have a collection of Vines plants as well, though not as large as yours. I'm just barely starting to learn them.

            Ron

            [Attachment(s) from David Nanney included below]

            Message 6 of 14 , Nov 15, 2012
              Yes,
              Great work in establishing these collections.
              Perhaps Lewis Ginter Botanic Garden could be an option.
              Ron  Rabideau

              Message 7 of 14 , Nov 15, 2012

                Mike, I’m going to duck all your questions as I don’t know.  Next spring, we will be looking more closely at the collection, but many of your questions suggest you visit our area, tour our gardens, and bring us new and interesting ways to look at them.  You have a lot of fans in our chapter who would love to meet you.   We do not yet have a web site, but the chapter is discussing ways to capture, organize, and share our information so I wouldn’t be surprised in a couple of years, to see a link up on the ASA site.  It’s taken years to get to where I have a collection ready to show, and my bride keeps having me move plants I thought were in permanent locations…..  Do you have Pete’s catalog?  He published a catalog which was one of the more useful ones in the business.

                I am going to forward your questions in Pete’s direction so see if he has any of the answers.

                My favorites to date are Crimson Queen and Redskins.  The later for religious reasons,,,, and Crimson Queen is one of the boldest reds we have.   Ron made me look at Saint Moritz and it’s a really nice white.  Come on spring.  Can we just skip winter???

                Dave

                Message 8 of 14 , Nov 19, 2012

                Mike, I forwarded your question to Pete Vines and he responded with these photos and comments.

                Dave Nanney

                Springfield, Virginia

                FINISHED planting all our pots today!   We acquired just under 200 new azaleas this year, and ALL are in the ground.  Many are in holding beds, but they are in the ground and safe for the winter.

                Message 9 of 14 , Nov 20, 2012
                  Dave, Thank you greatly for getting Pete Vines to answer my questions and for the photos.  That Whipped Cream is outstanding.  I have always been charmed by the W.W. Vines azalea, since it resembles my natives.  I think that an azalea like W.W. Vines would be a good parent for crossing with a yellow deciduous azalea to achieve my goal of a yellow evergreen.

                  Is Springfield, Virginia close to Washington, DC?

                  Message 10 of 14 , Nov 29, 2012
                    There is quite a bit of information from Pete Vines' 1990 catalog
                    online, at
                    http://www.azaleas.org/hybridgroups.html#hss
                    with links to pages for his named hybrids, for his numbered hybrids,
                    and for the Huang hybrids that Pete had described in that catalog,
                    along with links to pictures of some of them - including 'Saint
                    Moritz' - on our picture website .

                    Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7
                    On Nov 15, 2012, at 2:51 PM, Mike Creel wrote:

                    > David and Ron:
                    > Does Saint Moritz just have a pistil and no stamens. It is a
                    > beautiful large flower. Could it be a triploid? Has it ever been
                    > used in hybridization? Is there a web link to your Vines azaleas?
                    > I like the HH Vines that resembles Primative beauty.
                    >
                    > Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
                    > Lexington, South Carolina

                  • bsperling
                    Message 11 of 14 , Nov 29, 2012
                      Hi Bob,
                      I noticed that I have 8 plants that are on the Vines named list
                      but are not listed as having photos (and this year I gave away a couple
                      of others that I wasn't fond of). I'm sure that others in No. VA can
                      easily fill out that list with photos. How about stepping up, guys (and
                      gals)!
                      Barry

                      Message 12 of 14 , Nov 30, 2012
                        Bob,
                        That's a lot of good information. Might I suggest adding the Marshy Point
                        azaleas by Harry Weiskittel? I can supply a number of pictures. There are
                        many great azaleas in this fairly large group. Austin, Harry's son just
                        informed us that his father has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

                        Ron

                        --
                        Ron Rabideau
                        Camden, NJ
                        Message 13 of 14 , Dec 27, 2012
                          Ron,

                          I am really sad to hear of Harry having Alzheimers. I visited him
                          quite a bit when I lived in the Washington DC area, and he donated a
                          lot of plants for the George Harding garden.

                          I would be happy to put pictures of his hybrids on the ASA picture
                          website. I would also publish descriptive info for them similar to
                          the Holly Springs descriptions if you can supply the info.

                          Bob

                        • Ron Rabideau
                          Message 14 of 14 , Dec 27, 2012
                            Bob,
                            OK, great. It is hard to get much of a description from the Marshy Point
                            catalogs or web site, but I can supply some pics and basic descriptions.
                            You are free to use any info from the Rare Find Web site, but I have
                            better pics than can be put up there.

                            Ron

                            --
                            Ron Rabideau