non- hybrids

  • william steinkampf
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2012
      New Orleans....9-B

      Two questions:

      1-Are there non-hybridized azaleas readily available?
      I understand the reasons for the profusion of hybrids, but am curious about 'the others'.

      2-Queried sometime back about Rhododendron scabrum...ryukyu-type azalea aka Azalea sublanceolata.  I found a 2007 journal article that promoted it'suse in Florida, but the author now knows of no place carrying them.  I did recieve a communique from Tom Scheutz who suggested that I try the La chapter and graciously provided a contact.  I will do so eventually.  In the interim, does anyone out there know of a source for R. scabrum?

      bill steinkampf
    • Maarten van der Giessen
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 22, 2012

        I tried R. scabrum in the 90’s and lost it consistently to bark splitting.  Not to say you can’t do it now.  The world has changed.  Try Jenkins Farm and Nursery in Amite, LA.  If anyone around here has that it would be Margie Jenkins.  Another source would be Transcend Nursery in Amite.

        Maarten van der Giessen

        Mobile, Alabama

      • william steinkampf
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 25, 2012
          On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Maarten van der Giessen <maarten@...> wrote:

          I tried R. scabrum in the 90’s and lost it consistently to bark splitting.  Not to say you can’t do it now.  The world has changed.  Try Jenkins Farm and Nursery in Amite, LA.  If anyone around here has that it would be Margie Jenkins.  Another source would be Transcend Nursery in Amite.

          Maarten van der Giessen

          Mobile, Alabama

          Many thanks.  Contacted Jenkins and Lee; awaiting responses.  Jenkins also suggested I call Dodd and Dodd; awaiting response there from also..

          If I might ask, what kind of site did you have the scabrum in.  I had 'em under a small live oak in the highest part of Pinellas County, Fl...north Clearwater.  They seemed to be doing moderately well when I left 'em...3-4 yrs after planting.  They were a bit leggy but did bloom.  Soil was nothing but sand.  New Orleans potential site is Miss. R. alluvium...silty-to-fine-sandy loam.

          bill steinkampf
          New Orleans, La