The Octaploid 'Fragrant Start' as a pollen parent

  • sjperk5
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2012
      Last year Sally and I did crosses using 'Fragrant Star' as a pollen parent.

      The Jackson's grew on three of our crosses namely

      'Cherokee' X 'Fragrant Star'
      'Smokey Mountaineer' X 'Fragrant Star'
      'Golden Comet' X 'Fragrant Star'

      Each of these crossess represents a tetraploid seed parent by an octaploid pollen parent.

      We had 2 seedlings from each cross ploidy tested and all six tested as hexaploid using flow cytometry.

      Note: All four parents (the actual plant used) used in these 3 crosses have been ploidy tested.

      John Perkins