Azalea Diseases

  • Linda Blakely
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2012
      this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC.    My azaleas are located on the south side of my home.  They are shaded in the mornings but get afternoon sun.  I live in Shreveport LA (northwest Louisiana).  The leaves of my plants are covered with a white substance looking somewhat like mold and the bottoms of the leaves look like they have black specks on them.  They have been in my yard for over 15 years but this is the first time I have noticed this problem.

      What do I need to do to fix this problem before it does too much damage to my plants?  My email address is linda-blakely@....  Thank you very much for your help.
    • hevestenning
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2012
        Original sent to Linda by email:

        Hi Linda,

        Thanks for asking the Azalea Group.

        If a tree fell down that was creating shade or perhaps was pruned back, the additional sun could have made conditions right for lace bug:

        Whitish specks on the upper surface of leaves and dark spots varnish-like on the bottom are symptoms of Rhododendron Lace Bugs, Stephanitis rhododendri, andAzalea Lace Bugs, Stephanitis pyrioides, small insects with transparent wings on under-surface of leaves. This insect hatches early in spring as the new foliage begins to mature and its numbers may build to damaging levels with successive generations. Lace bugs reach their peak in late summer and do their worst in sunny, exposed sites. Spiders are important predators of lace bugs and since they shy away from sunny, hot places, plant your azaleas where there is some shade. Insecticidal soap, horticultural oil, or a systemic insecticide may spare your azaleas the damage if applied in spring when the first hatchlings are noticed. Care must be taken to spray the lower surfaces of the leaves where the lace bugs live. Moving a plant to an area with more shade may alleviate the problem. Lace bugs are more prevalent on certain varieties. The following azalea cultivars have resistance to azalea lace bug: 'Dawn,' 'Pink Star,' 'Ereka,' 'Cavalier,' 'Pink Fancy,' 'Dram,' 'Seigei,' 'Macrantha,' 'Salmon Pink,' 'Elsie Lee,' 'Red Wing,' Sunglow' and 'Marilee.'

        Steve Henning, Zone 6, Reading, PA  USA