Re: Evergreen azalea crossed with little leaf rhododendron

  • ANNETTE GAVILLAC
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 20 7:57 PM

      From: ANNETTE GAVILLAC <gavillac@...>

      http://gavillac.com/azaleodendron10.jpg

      http://gavillac.com/lutescensemail.jpg

       Some seedlings (children) of the evergreen azalea Pryored will readily cross with yellow

      flowered small leaf rhododendrons, such as Rhododendron  Keiskei and Rhododendron. Lutescens
      and set seed dependably year after year.

      When I say, "will readily cross", I mean, when crossed, a seed pod  dependably

        forms, the resultant seedlings are green, there are no albinos (none).
        Flowers on the seedlings are well shaped and sex organs look normal, Seedlings
        are not deformed in any manner.

      Rhododendron Keiskei is light yellow,  Rhododendron.Lutescens is a some

       what  darker yellow.

      The evergreen azalea is ordinarily used as the mother plant.

      The evergreen azalea Pryored  has a hose in hose flower and can not be used as
       a mother plant. It's single flowered children are used as females.in the cross with the rhododendron.

       The resultant seedlings of the cross between evergreen azalea Pryored child and Rhododendron. Keiskei,
       look like what you might expect of a evergreen azalea crossed with a small leaf rhododendron.
       (i.e  intermediate).

      The seedlings do not have scales  but are heavily covered  (leaves and stems)

      with stalked glands,  hair is sparse, leaf texture is intermediate.

      One would have a hard time believing  that an evergreen azalea.was the mother

      of these seedlings.

        There is as much physical difference between the seedlings and either parent
      than between some azalea or rhododendron  species

      The cross of the white flowered  evergreen azalea with the yellow flowered

       Rhododendron Keiskei produced all matte white flowered seedlings, no blotches
       or color flecks.

        The  yellow flower color of R. Keiskei  did not come thru in the  F1 in any
      manner..

      Some of these little azaleodendrons will have a few flowers` their first year from seed.

      What accounts for the ready sexual compatibility between some evergreen azalea Pryored seedlings

       and small leaf rhododendrons?

      Bob Garriott
      Annette Gavillac
      Southern Indiana / Northern Kentucky
      We Frenchmen make better azalea growers, we have that certain something.

    • Ron Rabideau
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 21 4:57 AM
        Bob,
        Very very interesting information! Don't have an answer for you, you're in
        uncharted territory. Mike Creel will be very interested in your results.
        Tom Ranney at the Mountain Crops Research Center
        http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/fletcher/ and his students have played around
        with this kind of thing. I know someone who crossed I think it was America
        X keskei and got a couple plants. You should post this in the rhodo group
        as well, there is some crossover between these groups.
        > What accounts for the ready sexual compatibility between some evergreen
        > azalea Pryored seedlings
        > and small leaf rhododendrons?
        >
        > Bob Garriott
        > Annette Gavillac
        > Southern Indiana / Northern Kentucky
        > We Frenchmen make better azalea growers, we have that certain something.

        Agreed!!

        --
        Ron Rabideau
        Rare Find Nursery(Jackson, NJ)
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 21 6:47 PM
          It is interesting to see that others are trying to use Pryored in crosses.  Pryored is an complex evergreen x deciduous hybrid that contains much prunifolium and probably gets its red hue from the deciduous plumleaf azalea.  I would love to see a photo of the Pryored seedling that is the seed parent of the hybrid in the photo.

          My efforts are to cross a deciduous and evergreen to produce an evergreen with deciduous type flower display (10 or more flowers from a single bud) and secondly produce a true yellow flowered evergreen with a deep yellow hue as seen in calendulaceum, austrinum and a few other deciduous azaleas.

          Currently I am observing three fully evergreen seedlings from deciduous x evergreen crosses.  Two of the seedlings are from a large flowered Washington County NC atlanticum X Pryored.  A third plant is from austrinum X an unknown evergreen.  All three are dwarfish, small leaved, non-branching, producing multiple stems from the ground.  The largest plant seems to be mature enough to produce flower buds, but none have been observed yet.

          About Pryored, I am not fully convinced that its flower cannot be pollinated and serve as the seed parent, IF the right pollinator is used.  I am hoping to clone my Pryored so I will have a plant growing closer to some deciduous azaleas I want to cross it with, probably in a movable container.  I have a wonderfull deep yellow calendulaceum I call Walhalla Gold that is a cross of two yellow calendulaceums.  I would love to see its yellow in an evergreen.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 22 8:12 AM
            Interesting results.

            I haven't tried crossing a rhodie with an evergreen azalea but I did succeed with a elepidote on a deciduous azalea. I used R. occidentale as the seed parent and 'Polynesian Sunset' as the pollen parent. I have about 30 plants. A few look like a deciduous azalea. A number are very dwarf, less than 3" in 3 years, and some are about 8" with rhodie type foliage. All are evergreen and have been hardy in container outside. I think it will be a number of years before any flower.

            This year I tried 'Ruby Hart', 'Nancy Evans', and 'Carmen' on R. occidentale but all failed. I haven't tried a Lepidote or a evergreen azalea on R. occidentale but it is something to think about for next year.

            Dick 'Red' Cavender, Red's Rhodies, Sherwood, Oregon, USA, Zone 8
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 22 12:43 PM
              This is great news - R. occidentale X Polynesian Sunset.  Which occidentale cultivar did you use as seed parent?  What is the lineage of Polynesian Sunset and are there other evergreen Rhododendrons with like or similiar lineage?  Could this lineage in any way favor the evergreen's ability to fertilize occidentale?  Could you provide some photos of the two types of seedlings?

              PS: I must praise Harold Greer for the little pouch of green time release fertilizer he sent me.  Recently I have used it sparingly on both occidentale seedlings and rooted cutting, without burning the plants and yielding immediate increased growth.  I do not remember the name of Harold's fertilizer, but it works magic.  Harold:  what is the fertilizer named, the maker and an online source?

              Have you tried fertilizing your occidentale X Polynesian Sunset seedlings

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 23 12:21 PM
                Mike,

                I used 3 different R. occidentale parents. 'Frank Mossman' sister seedling and 2 clones of doubles. 'Polynesian Sunset' is a Whitney cross, parentage unknown. The crosses were made in May 2007 and seed planted in 2008. They have been fertilized every year with a 3 month slow release fertilizer. I don't have current photos of the plants and my camera is and will be in the shop until about the 1st.

                Dick 'Red' Cavender, Red's Rhodies, Sherwood, Oregon, USA, Zone 8

                1b

                Re: Evergreen azalea crossed with little leaf rhododendron

                Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:44 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

                "Mike Creel" mikeacreel

                This is great news - R. occidentale X Polynesian Sunset.  Which occidentale cultivar did you use as seed parent?  What is the lineage of Polynesian Sunset and are there other evergreen Rhododendrons with like or similiar lineage?  Could this lineage in any way favor the evergreen's ability to fertilize occidentale?  Could you provide some photos of the two types of seedlings?
              • Harold Greer
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 23 9:32 PM

                Hi Mike,

                Attached is a label from the bag.  Apex does not seem to sell east of Colorado, but there must be other similar mixes in your area.  If you can’t find it, I can get you more at my cost. Thanks for your kind words about my recommending it.

                With friendship,

                Harold

                Message 8 of 15 , Jul 24 9:13 PM

                  Hi Bruce,

                  Thanks for the explanation.  I knew it was something like that, but have not researched it.  I prefer the Rhodo group method, but I have very fast internet and the rhodo method gives me the information immediately.

                  On the subject of our friend Red Cavender, I have to kid him a bit (getting old) and at the same time congratulate Dick (Red) and Karen Cavender.  This Saturday they will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary and their 70th birthdays!  Boy that is getting old, but I can’t say much as my age is creeping up there too.  In fact most of us on this group are reaching that age!

                  Congratulations to Dick and Karen.  We will be at the celebration on Saturday!

                  Harold Greer

                  Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2, 2012
                    Harold, thank you again for the little bag of time release fertilizer.  Now I know what it is - Simplor SP21-6-9 Evergreen fertilizer.  I hope that I can find something exactly like it in South Carolina.  It is gold for my uses with small azalea seedlings and rooted cuttings.  I will use my remaining stock sparingly.  It is the first fertilizer of any kind I have found to use on these small plants and not kill them.  I will print out the label you sent to see if a local nursery knows of an equivalent fertilizer.  I think that Simplor must do something special with their coating.

                    Message 10 of 15 , Aug 2, 2012

                      Hi Mike,

                      I am glad that the fertilizer worked well for you.  You should be able to find something similar.  Ii do think that the coating on the fertilizer is good.

                      Would you be willing to share your rooting method for deciduous azaleas with a customer in Maryland?  He wants more of some of the azaleas he has and of course has had no luck rooting softwood cuttings.  Your method would probably do what he needs.

                      Thanks,

                      Harold

                      Message 11 of 15 , Aug 2, 2012
                        I am always happy to share my unorthodox CreelWay propagation methods with anyone greatly interested.  I conducted a number of very well attended propagation workshops at the CullowheeNative Plant Symposium at Western Carolina University in North Carolina for several years, 5 or 6, the most recent in July 2009.  So many people signed up for one of the sessions that I had to conduct it in the large main auditorium, which was difficult for me, but a lot of people left the concurrent sessions they had signed up for to attend mine.  The crowd grew bigger due to people exiting other (less interesting I guess) sessions, which did not please the symposium organizers.

                        My 2009 workshop was in an ideal location, to a smaller group of limited size over two dayswith much hands on and participation.  In the back of my little Civic I brought raw materials for building several of my devices, which participants took home; media; water; live plants to demonstrate cuttings; and a couple of refrigerated coolers with fresh, ideal cuttings I had made just before leaving my home garden.

                        The best way to learn my propagation methods are a personal visit, which can be any time of the year since I propagate from woody cuttings every month of the year.  The next best way is to study and practice my PowerPoint program which I can put on a CD, but seems too large to email.  That 2009 Propagation workshop program should be online somewhere.  I think I provided a copy to Chris Klapwijk in British Columbia.  Ask your friend to email me his mailing address.

                        Message 12 of 15 , Aug 2, 2012

                          Mike,

                          Thanks for the education you give.  I will send my friend your email address.

                          Harold

[...]

                        • Chris Klapwijk
                          Message 13 of 15 , Aug 3, 2012
                            Hi Mike,

                            the 2009 Propagation workshop is posted here, http://www.flounder.ca/Mike-Creel/Creel-Way-2009.ppt 13.5 MB (14,242,816 bytes)

                            As well, your South Carolina mini bogs presentation is posted here, http://www.flounder.ca/Mike-Creel/South-Carolina-Mini-Bogs.ppt 13.5 MB (14,195,712 bytes)

                            Chris Klapwijk
                            Surrey, BC

                            That 2009 Propagation workshop program should be online somewhere. I think I provided a copy to Chris Klapwijk in British Columbia.

                            Mike Creel
                            Message 14 of 15 , Aug 3, 2012
                              On Aug 3, 2012, at 12:30 AM, Mike Creel wrote:

                              > The best way to learn my propagation methods are a personal visit,
                              > which can be any time of the year since I propagate from woody
                              > cuttings every month of the year. The next best way is to study
                              > and practice my PowerPoint program which I can put on a CD, but
                              > seems too large to email. That 2009 Propagation workshop program
                              > should be online somewhere. I think I provided a copy to Chris
                              > Klapwijk in British Columbia. Ask your friend to email me his
                              > mailing address.

                              The Creel method is described in a PDF file from Mike Creel that can
                              be downloaded at
                              http://www.azaleas.org/propother.html

                              Although that file has been around since 2006 I believe it still
                              shows the basics.

                              Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7
                              Message 15 of 15 , Aug 3, 2012
                                Thank you greatly Chris for posting my two programs:  the 2009 native plant propagation workshop at the Cullowhee Symposium at Western Carolina University and the Backyard Bogs program first given to the SC native plant society at Poinsett State Forest in Sumter SC.  This will save me disk copying and mailing to a number of friends who asked for a copy of my program.  I need to record the narration I give during these programs.  I add a fair amount of usefull stuff, including updates.