Re: [AZ] Glacier Azalea Companion

  • bsperling
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2012
      Hi Elizabeth,
      I have 2 Glaciers that started to bloom 4/11 and one that started 4/15,
      here 10 mi south of Washington, DC. This is at the beginning of the
      first blooms from plants I call "mid-season".
      The old azalea 'Tradition' and the Glenn Dale 'Prudence' started to
      bloom 4/10, Glenn Dale 'Fashion' was 4/13 and the Greenwood 'Robin Cook'
      was 4/15. Those should be enough pinks to get you started, and there
      are many others which are a nice combination of white and pink you
      should look for, too.
      Good luck,
      Barry

      Elizabeth Bowman wrote:
      > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
      >
      > I am located in the Piedmont section of SC (Greenwood) and have several
      > glacier azaleas that are established. Please let me know varieties that
      > would bloom at the same time. We are interested in combining the glacier
      > with another azalea with pink blooms.
      >
      > Thanks very much for any help.
      >
      > Elizabeth Bowman

    • Bob Kelly
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2012
        Carefull with the 'Fashion'.  They are an orangy pink.  We finally pulled up a row of them because of the color clash.

        Bob Kelly
        Aberdeen, MS

        Elizabeth Bowman wrote:
        > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
        >
        > I am located in the Piedmont section of SC (Greenwood) and have several
        > glacier azaleas that are established. Please let me know varieties that
        > would bloom at the same time. We are interested in combining the glacier
        > with another azalea with pink
        blooms.

        > Thanks very much for any help.
        >
        > Elizabeth Bowman

      • Don Hyatt
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2012
        Hi Elizabeth,
        If you want a "cool pink" (less coral or yellowish pink and more true pink), one that I have planted with 'Glacier' in my garden is the double pink Glenn Dale, 'Delos'.  In four out of five years, they do bloom together, but 'Glacier' can be a few days early.  I'll attach a picture of 'Glacier' and 'Delos' taken in my garden.

        'Delos' tends to be a bit taller, so I suggest planting that behind 'Glacier'.  In that planting, I also have the pale pink Gable Rhododendron 'Cadis' behind the azaleas and a vertical focal point of a Blue Atlas Cedar as well.  The blends of pink, white, and blue are pleasing to me.

        If you want even a softer pink and a plant that is more compact than 'Delos', you might try the North Carolina hybrid, 'Pink Cloud'.  I don't have an image to send, but here is a link on the Azalea Society web page that shows 'Pink Cloud'.  It also blooms at the same time as 'Glacier' for me.

        Best regards,

        Don Hyatt
        McLean, VA

        Elizabeth Bowman wrote:
        > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
        >
        > I am located in the Piedmont section of SC (Greenwood) and have several
        > glacier azaleas that are established. Please let me know varieties that
        > would bloom at the same time. We are interested in combining the glacier
        > with another azalea with pink blooms.
        >
        > Thanks very much for any help.
        >
        > Elizabeth Bowman

      • Elizabeth Bowman
        Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2012
          Thank you SO much for your suggestions and photos. The combination of pink and white that you sent is beautiful! i am indeed impressed with the response through the azalea society. Thanks again. Elizabeth