Re: [AZ] Growing Ghent and Knap Hill Azaleas in the South?

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
      Allen, when bloom time gets closer please send me a
      predicted date of bloom for the mid season of your
      Ghents. I really hope I can get the yellow Nancy
      Waterer cuttings to root because I saw a beautiful
      hybrid of it with Rh. atlanticum on a British Columbia
      web site. I am also hopefull that my yellow Arpege
      cuttings will mature so I can cross them with my
      natives
      Mike Creel, Lexington, SC

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • john barnes
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
        Today here in central South Carolina it was 75 degrees so I spent some time
        taking deciduous azaleas from pots and putting them into the ground. In the
        process I noticed something interesting. The plants are various species,
        some true natives a few Exburys and some hybrids. Some of the native
        hybrids were Aromis and some were from Beasleys. These plants seem to be
        about 4-5 years old and have been growing for 2 years in 2 gallon poly pots
        and each had the same media, watering, and exposure.

        As I lifted up the pots I found that in some cases the roots had grown down
        through the drainage holes and into the underlying clay. In other cases,
        the roots acted like they did not really enjoy the lower reaches of the
        pots. In a few cases the roots were uniform throughout the pot but did not
        escape. The interesting thing is that in each case where the roots went
        down and out through the bottom of the pot I was looking at an Aromi hybrid.

        On the other hand, when I lifted an Exbury from the pot the bottom third of
        the media would fall off, there being no roots there.

        On the face of it it would appear that my Aromis seem to not only tolerate
        the more poorly aerated strata of their root environment but actually
        thrived on it. Maybe this is because they seem to be such robust plants.
        Or could it be that they are robust because they are more tolerant of less
        than ideal conditions.

        Several Austrinums which had other characteristics like the Aromis did not
        show this aggressive root growth.

        I offer this in hopes of stimulating discussion from those better informed
        than I.

        John Barnes
        Greenwood, SC
        Zone 7 1/2 moving toward 8
      • john barnes
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
          My memory is no longer what I once thought it was, but as I recall the Ghent
          planting at the National Arboretum was a gift from Belgium after WWII. It
          was a fantastic display at the foot of the hill and accress the road from
          where the display garden of Glen Dales was established. When I first
          visited there in the early fifties, ( I think) I was very impressed, I had
          never seen such plants, but each year as I returned, it was clear that the
          Ghents seemed to be losing vigor and then losing branches and then were a
          sorrowful site. They were taken out sometime before the sixties, (I think).
          I was told then by USDA folks that the plants just wouldn't tolerate the
          heat and humidity of Washington DC.

          The fact that Allen can find them doing well in the deep south is very
          interesting. Why should they be more heat tolerant in pots than in the
          ground, I wonder. I would have thought that the heat would be more of an
          issue to plants in pots than with their roots in the ground.

          John Barnes
          Greenwood, SC
          Zone 7 1/2 moving to 8

          on 1/3/05 7:06 PM, Allen Cantrell at racantrell@... wrote:

          > Mike,
          >
          > I have about 60 different Ghents I am growing in containers. Some I have
          > had for around 5 years, others are younger plants grown from cuttings that I
          > got from England. I think you should be able to grow most of them. They
          > are doing fine for me. I am having the names checked on my older plants.
          > They came from a abandoned test garden that was part of the National
          > Arboretum years ago. Some of the names don't match the flowers, I think
          > tags got moved around. They have a heavy bud set this year, you will have
          > to come up and see them.
          >
          > Allen Cantrell, Zone 7, South Carolina

        • Will and Kate Ferrell
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
            John raises this logical question: "The fact that Allen can find them doing
            well in the deep south is very
            interesting. Why should they be more heat tolerant in pots than in the
            ground, I wonder. I would have thought that the heat would be more of an
            issue to plants in pots than with their roots in the ground." Logical
            because certainly the roots would be cooler in the ground.

            My speculative answer: dec. azaleas love airy soil & pots can supply this
            to them better than real soil. I would conjecture that this makes the plant
            so healthy that it is more tolerant of the heat.

            Will

            > My memory is no longer what I once thought it was, but as I recall the
            Ghent
            > planting at the National Arboretum was a gift from Belgium after WWII. It
            > was a fantastic display at the foot of the hill and accress the road from
            > where the display garden of Glen Dales was established. When I first
            > visited there in the early fifties, ( I think) I was very impressed, I had
            > never seen such plants, but each year as I returned, it was clear that the
            > Ghents seemed to be losing vigor and then losing branches and then were a
            > sorrowful site. They were taken out sometime before the sixties, (I
            think).
            > I was told then by USDA folks that the plants just wouldn't tolerate the
            > heat and humidity of Washington DC.
            >
            > The fact that Allen can find them doing well in the deep south is very
            > interesting. Why should they be more heat tolerant in pots than in the
            > ground, I wonder. I would have thought that the heat would be more of an
            > issue to plants in pots than with their roots in the ground.
            >
            > John Barnes
            > Greenwood, SC
            > Zone 7 1/2 moving to 8
            >
            > on 1/3/05 7:06 PM, Allen Cantrell at racantrell@... wrote:
            >

            > > Mike,
            > >
            > > I have about 60 different Ghents I am growing in containers. Some I
            have
            > > had for around 5 years, others are younger plants grown from cuttings
            that I
            > > got from England. I think you should be able to grow most of them.
            They
            > > are doing fine for me. I am having the names checked on my older
            plants.
            > > They came from a abandoned test garden that was part of the National
            > > Arboretum years ago. Some of the names don't match the flowers, I think
            > > tags got moved around. They have a heavy bud set this year, you will
            have
            > > to come up and see them.
            > >
            > > Allen Cantrell, Zone 7, South Carolina

          • Allen Cantrell
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005
              John,

              The collection in the National Arboretum that you saw is gone now. Only a 7
              or 8 hybrids are alive in the old garden across the road down the hill from
              toady's azalea collection. There are other deciduous azaleas are in the
              woods down the hill that you are talking about but I have not seen them in
              flower. I thing they are mostly species. The Ghents I have came form a test
              garden that was part of the National Arboretum that is located at Glenn Dale
              north of Washington DC. I think this is the same location where the Glenn
              Dale evergreen azaleas where developed.
              In the test garden in Glenn Dale many of the plants had died. Trees had
              taken over most of the test garden and most of the azaleas where in deep
              shade and in poor health. But on one end of the test there was a opening in
              the trees and the Ghent in this area where 8 to 10 feet tall. Health plants
              loaded with flowers. If I remember correctly these plant were left to fend
              for themselves in the 50s. In the 80s a group from one of the local
              Rhododendron or Azalea Chapters can in and cleaned up around them. Many of
              the azaleas had already died by then and more died from that time until I
              saw them in 1998 or 1999, some where in there. I think if these Ghents had
              been taken care of under normal gardening condition many more of them would
              be alive today.

              Allen Cantrell
              Chesnee, SC
              Zone 7

              > My memory is no longer what I once thought it was, but as I recall the
              Ghent
              > planting at the National Arboretum was a gift from Belgium after WWII. It
              > was a fantastic display at the foot of the hill and accress the road from
              > where the display garden of Glen Dales was established. When I first
              > visited there in the early fifties, ( I think) I was very impressed, I had
              > never seen such plants, but each year as I returned, it was clear that the
              > Ghents seemed to be losing vigor and then losing branches and then were a
              > sorrowful site. They were taken out sometime before the sixties, (I
              think).
              > I was told then by USDA folks that the plants just wouldn't tolerate the
              > heat and humidity of Washington DC.
              >
              > The fact that Allen can find them doing well in the deep south is very
              > interesting. Why should they be more heat tolerant in pots than in the
              > ground, I wonder. I would have thought that the heat would be more of an
              > issue to plants in pots than with their roots in the ground.
              >
              > John Barnes
              > Greenwood, SC
              > Zone 7 1/2 moving to 8
              >
              > on 1/3/05 7:06 PM, Allen Cantrell at racantrell@... wrote:
              >

              > > Mike,
              > >
              > > I have about 60 different Ghents I am growing in containers. Some I
              have
              > > had for around 5 years, others are younger plants grown from cuttings
              that I
              > > got from England. I think you should be able to grow most of them.
              They
              > > are doing fine for me. I am having the names checked on my older
              plants.
              > > They came from a abandoned test garden that was part of the National
              > > Arboretum years ago. Some of the names don't match the flowers, I think
              > > tags got moved around. They have a heavy bud set this year, you will
              have
              > > to come up and see them.
              > >
              > > Allen Cantrell, Zone 7, South Carolina

            • Allen Cantrell
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 5, 2005
                Will,

                Would you be interested in a collection of about 40 Ghents to test that came from the old test garden?  I have started a small nursery specializing in native azalea species, natural hybrids and a few man made hybrids.  My plan was to hold the Ghents back until the names have been straighten out which may take two or three years.  Some of them may never be matched to their original names.  I have some collectors in Europe helping me with this.  I sent pictures to England of a few that bloomed this past year and when I got the results back only a few of the plants are named correctly, several are labeled incorrect and some they don't have anything to compare them to.  In other words we may have a few Ghents that no longer exist in Europe.  So if you would like a collection of these, let me know.  You can email me direct at ferngully@...
                Also Mike if you have room for a collection I will give you a collection.  It gets a little warmer down your way.

                If there is anyone else out their that would like to try a couple Ghents , north or south, we will do a test.  I have a few hundred of young Ghents that I rooted over the past two years. If I sit on these plants for two or three years they will be getting a little large to ship easily.  So I will give away two different plants picked at random to each person that is interested in this test, until I run out of what I have on hand now.  That way you guys get a couple of plants and I don't keep putting money into a group of plants that should have been sold two years earlier.  These plants should be large enough to ship in the fall of 2005.  I am in the middle of potting them up now. All of these have a catalog number that always stay with the mother plants plus the names.  But being that many of the names are incorrect, I will remove the names from the labels.  I don't want a lot of mis-named Ghents out their.  When all the plants are identified that can be, I will send out a list of catalog numbers with be corrected names.  That is if all goes as planed.  I will have to keep a list of who I give plants to.  In return, I will like some feed back.  In  3 or 4 years I will send out a survey to check and see how the Ghents are doing. That should give me a idea where the Ghents do best.  For any one that can pick their plants up, drop me a note and we can make plans.  For people that are to far away to drop by I will pack and ship plants to you but I will need to charge for shipping, packing and labor ( I not going to pack all these things myself. )  I not sure what this will run, maybe $10.00 will ship two plants.  If it ends up being more I will let you know.  I can't go in the hole on packing and shipping.  For anyone on the west coast I will have to discuss shipping and your state's restrictions one on one.  I will not be able to ship these out of the United States, sorry.

                I said I would pick the plants out at random.  The reason for that is that I have attached a few pictures and there are not enough of any one selection to go around to everyone.  As in any group of plants some are more showy than others.  I have about 40 different Ghents to pick from.  Some of them I have not seen bloom myself.  There seem to be a lot of pinks with yellow blotches.  I assume people in Europe must have liked pink 150 years ago, but you have to remember that many of the plants go back to between 100 and 200 years and these were all new to the people growing and naming them.  Many of these look like some of the natural hybrids that have been found in the wild.

                If any one is interested in this Ghent test contact me at Fern Gully.

                Check out the attachments but remember the Ghents will be picked out at random.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 6, 2005
                  Allen, did you also send those pictures to Albert De Raedt in belgium? He is
                  the leading expert of the Gentse Azaleas and writer of the book "De Harde
                  Gentse Azalea"
                  I'm working for the botanical garden of the wageningen university and have a
                  great interest for the gentse azalea's.
                  Greetings theo

                  Spreek vrienden en familie met MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.nl/
                • Allen Cantrell
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 6, 2005
                    Yes, he and a couple of other collectors in Europe are helping me with this.
                    The plan is to take more and better pictures this year and ask them to take
                    a look at them. In time we will see how this all comes out.

                    Where is the Wageningen University located? You can email me direct at
                    ferngully@....

                    Thanks,

                    Allen Cantrell
                    Zone 7, USA