Re:Azalea ID

  • Elaine Sedlack
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 12 8:06 PM
    Isn't this 'Anna Kehr'?  I will attach the photo which Greer Gardens has posted for this cultivar.  Or did you say it was deciduous?

    Elaine
  • van der Giessen Nursery
    Message 2 of 14 , Mar 13 6:44 AM
      Re: Azalea ID

      The azalea in question is ‘Amelia Rose’, an Aromi hybrid that we introduced 10 years ago.  It’s a hybrid of ‘Elsie Lee’ and ‘Pride of Prichard’.

      Maarten van der Giessen

      van der Giessen Nursery, Inc.

      Semmes (Mobile), AL.

    • Maarten van der Giessen
      Message 3 of 14 , Mar 13 8:21 AM
        I'd attach a photo, but I can't figure out how it works. You can find
        one on my nursery's website.

        Maarten van der Giessen

        van der Giessen Nursery

        --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "van der Giessen Nursery" <maarten@...>
        wrote:

        > The azalea in question is 'Amelia Rose', an Aromi hybrid that we
        introduced
        > 10 years ago. It's a hybrid of 'Elsie Lee' and 'Pride of Prichard'.
        >

        > Maarten van der Giessen
        > van der Giessen Nursery, Inc.
        > Semmes (Mobile), AL.

      • Ron Rabideau
        Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2013
        Dear Group,
        Panayoti Kelaidis of the Denver Botanic Garden posted this picture and
        comments on Facebook asking for an id. Can anyone help? Looks a bit like
        something we have bought from Environmentals Nursery as "pink nakaharae".

        "About fifty years ago my good friend Paul Maslin (who's been gone over 30
        years) and I both purchased plants labeled "Rhododendron macranthum" from
        Walter Kolaga's magnificent nursery (now also long gone) in New Jersey. We
        grew this evergreen azalea for decades and it performed unfailingly in our
        harsh climate--which was harsher then. It was rather low (under a foot
        tall) and bloomed in late June and most of July...does anyone 1) have a
        clue what it is and 2) is it available commercially nowadays?"

        --
        Ron Rabideau
        Camden, NJ
        Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2013
          It looks like a very low pink nakaharae I have that bloomed for me this year, rooted from a nursery in Belgium.

          <*>[Attachment(s) from Ron Rabideau included below]

[...]

            <*> Panayoti's azalea.jpg

          ------------------------------------

          When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.  And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.

          We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By attaching them you agree that, without giving up your rights to them, they may be shown on Azalea Society websites.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              azaleas-digest@yahoogroups.com
              azaleas-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2013
            Hi Ron,

            If it is a Macranthum, then it is an indicum  which normally should have five stamen.  The 'Pink Macranthum' and the 'Purple Macranthum' that I am familiar with, however, are both doubles and are not low growing.

            If it is a nakaharae, the plant habit in the image is pretty reasonable, and it should have ten stamen.

            Bill

            Ron Rabideau wrote:
            <*>[Attachment(s) from Ron Rabideau included below]

            Dear Group,
            Panayoti Kelaidis of the Denver Botanic Garden posted this picture and
            comments on Facebook asking for an id.  Can anyone help?  Looks a bit like
            something we have bought from Environmentals Nursery as "pink nakaharae".

            "About fifty years ago my good friend Paul Maslin (who's been gone over 30
            years) and I both purchased plants labeled "Rhododendron macranthum" from
            Walter Kolaga's magnificent nursery (now also long gone) in New Jersey. We
            grew this evergreen azalea for decades and it performed unfailingly in our
            harsh climate--which was harsher then. It was rather low (under a foot
            tall) and bloomed in late June and most of July...does anyone 1) have a
            clue what it is and 2) is it available commercially nowadays?"

          • Tadeusz Dauksza
            Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3, 2013
              Hello Ron-

              Perhaps the answer to Panayoti Kelaidis query lies in the Rock Graden Society old time members  who still might have Walter A Kolaga's Mayfair Nursery catalogs , otherwise pls contact someone at Cornell   http://bhort.bh.cornell.edu/catalogs.htm
               Library which have the Mayfair listed in thier Bailey storage.

              Tadeusz -LM chapter ASA