RE: [AZ] Re: autumn moon azalea

  • Jim Trumbly
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2012

      Nuccios lists Shugetsu in its catalog..  It is not listed under Aikoku although it is a sport from it.  My experience is they are sometimes out of stock of a particular cultivar for a year or more but worth a call.  Their phone is (626) 794-3383.   They ship well.

      Jim Trumbly

      Roseville, CA

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2012

        The Shugetsu azalea [a Satsuki azalea] is available right now at Nuccio's Nurseries.  And, as Jim as correctly noted, it is a sport of Aikoku, but is more reliable with a purple border and white center.  There are some solid colors, too, as there are with most Satsuki azaleas.  The Aikoku can have lighter shades of purple, almost a lavender sometimes.

        Generally speaking, Nuccio's Nurseries pulls only a few Satsuki azaleas from availability for a given year.  Often that's because of the demand on the particular plant.  They grow thousands of these there in their greenhouses.  Some are more delicate than others and require a tad more care to grow to retail size.

        Here's their address, too.
        3555 Chaney Trail
        Altadena, California 91001

        If you call them, remember, they are closed on Wednesdays and Thursday throughout the year.  They are open Sundays January to June 1st, but closed on Sundays June through December.

        George E. Klump
        Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA