autumn moon azalea

  • Vicki Remington
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 29, 2012
      Hi,
      I have an autumn moon azalea bush (shugetsu) that I purchased a few years ago.
      It is the most unusual color - white center & orchid edges.
      I wish to purchase more of these but cannot find any nursery that carries them.
      Can you help?
      Vicki Remington
    • Tadeusz
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2012
        try NUCCIOS IN ALTADENA, CALIFORNIA; OR GREERS IN OREGON

        look under AIKOKU;

        Tadeusz- LM

        --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki Remington" <vcr127@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I have an autumn moon azalea bush (shugetsu) that I purchased a few years ago.
        > It is the most unusual color - white center & orchid edges.
        > I wish to purchase more of these but cannot find any nursery that carries them.
        > Can you help?
        > Vicki Remington

      • Jim Trumbly
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2012

          Nuccios lists Shugetsu in its catalog..  It is not listed under Aikoku although it is a sport from it.  My experience is they are sometimes out of stock of a particular cultivar for a year or more but worth a call.  Their phone is (626) 794-3383.   They ship well.

          Jim Trumbly

          Roseville, CA

          try NUCCIOS IN ALTADENA, CALIFORNIA; OR GREERS IN OREGON

          look under AIKOKU;

          Tadeusz- LM

          --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki Remington" <vcr127@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I have an autumn moon azalea bush (shugetsu) that I purchased a few years ago.
          > It is the most unusual color - white center & orchid edges.
          > I wish to purchase more of these but cannot find any nursery that carries them.
          > Can you help?
          > Vicki Remington

        • George Klump
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2012

            The Shugetsu azalea [a Satsuki azalea] is available right now at Nuccio's Nurseries.  And, as Jim as correctly noted, it is a sport of Aikoku, but is more reliable with a purple border and white center.  There are some solid colors, too, as there are with most Satsuki azaleas.  The Aikoku can have lighter shades of purple, almost a lavender sometimes.

            Generally speaking, Nuccio's Nurseries pulls only a few Satsuki azaleas from availability for a given year.  Often that's because of the demand on the particular plant.  They grow thousands of these there in their greenhouses.  Some are more delicate than others and require a tad more care to grow to retail size.

            Here's their address, too.
            3555 Chaney Trail
            Altadena, California 91001

            If you call them, remember, they are closed on Wednesdays and Thursday throughout the year.  They are open Sundays January to June 1st, but closed on Sundays June through December.

            George E. Klump
            Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA