arctic freeze on the way?

  • parker little
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2012
      Are the azaleas in the lower 48 going to get an arctic blast this month? Thermometers in Alaska are breaking down with near -80F on Jan. 28, 2012. brrrrrr, what is the wind chill? and sea ice is growing at 1/2 inch per day at Barrows. AK, sea ice is 1.17 meters thick (3ft. 10 in.) as of Feb. 1, 2011; will we have a very stormy summer with Alberta clippers each week?

    • bsperling
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2012
        I have yet to see a forecast for extended cold and/or a significant
        winter storm for the eastern part of the country. One of the reasons
        that the weather has been so cold and stormy in the Pacific NW, Western
        Canada and Alaska is that it IS so nice in the east (largely due to the
        size of the country and the size of the planetary waves in the
        atmosphere). It's tough to get both areas unusually warm or unusually
        cold. I would be surprised if my area (DC) saw a lot of bad winter
        weather before the last part of February, and even then I think that it
        is unlikely.
        When it was suggested that I use other types of plants to forecast the
        bloom time of azaleas I started measuring snowdrops and crocus openings.
        This year was the earliest of 4 years of measuring snowdrops and the
        second earliest of 8 years measuring crocus' (2007 was earlier). The
        natural extension would be that azaleas would also be early, but
        conditions in March seem to be more important for the timing than
        earlier in the winter.
        And, on a side note, I would welcome frequent clippers in the summer as
        I lose plants during heat and drought but not during cold winters.
        Barry