Need help finding a shovel attachment

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2012
      My group of garden spades are essential to my azalea gardening - for removing pest trees, shrubs and roots; for preparing planting sites; and for relocating azaleas to better locations.

      On one of my spades several years ago I installed a sturdy green plastic foot pedal named a Shovel Mate, which greatly improves the efficiency of the space and the wear and tear on the human foot and torso.  I would like to find the same or a similar device to install on my other garden spades, but I no longer find the spade attachment in stores or on line.  In fact the searches on line just led to very questionable links, nothing related to garden spades.

      Can anyone help me find more of these spade efficiency devices?  If you used one, you would have to have it.

    • Ron Rabideau
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2012
        Mike,
        This place makes the best spades, shovels and other tools I have ever
        used. They make a foot rest pedal that bolts to their spades. I don't know
        if would attach to yours. I have two long-handled spades from them. My
        favoride for digging is the Item# LH-S-15. It has a 15" deep blade and the
        metal handle is strong enough to put all my weight on it without worrying
        about breaking it. The blade is also very sharp and will easily cut
        through roots up to about an inch thick or more.

        http://www.wwmfg.com

        Ron

        --
        Ron Rabideau
        Camden, NJ
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2012
          amleo.com is a pretty good source too

          --
          Ron Rabideau
          Camden, NJ

          ------------------------------------

          When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.  And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.

          We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By attaching them you agree that, without giving up your rights to them, they may be shown on Azalea Society websites.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              azaleas-digest@yahoogroups.com
              azaleas-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Warren Groomes
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2012
            i HAVE HAD A SHOVEL WITH A SERATED EDGE THAT BREAKS THROUGH TOUGH ROOTS AND CAN WORK IN HARD CLAY SOILS FAIRLY EASILY FOR ABOUT TEN YEARS.  i HAVE NOT SEEN IT LISTED IN THE CATALOGS SINCE THE YEAR i BOUGHT IT, BUT i JUST CAME ACROSS IT ON PAGE 32 OF THE GARDENER'S SUPPLY COMPANY CATALOG FOR EARLY SPRING 2012 (ALSO GARDENERS.COM).  i WOULD BUY IT AGAIN.

            WARREN GROOMES

            To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
            From: michael.campbell3@...
            Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 01:21:36 +0000

            --
            Ron Rabideau
            Camden, NJ

            ------------------------------------

            When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.  And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.

            We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By attaching them you agree that, without giving up your rights to them, they may be shown on Azalea Society websites.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                azaleas-digest@yahoogroups.com
                azaleas-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • dlsmart99
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 6, 2012
              Mike,

              You might take a look at this site: http://www.digrigshovel.com/ They have an attachment that gives more foot surface and is pretty inexpensive, too.
              Don Smart

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 9, 2012
                Don:  Thank you for the link.  The digrig footpad for shovels looks like it will do a good job, held on by two hose clamps.
                I found one easier to put on at Lee Valley garden tools and sent them detailed photos of the heavy duty foot pad on my spade.  The Lee Valley device looks like it is easy to put on and will fit a variety of spades and shovels.  You would not believe how a larger, sturdy foot pad can increase the digging and root cutting power of a standard spade or shovel.  Here is the link the the Lee Valley shovel foot pad.

                > My group of garden spades are essential to my azalea gardening - for removing pest trees, shrubs and roots; for preparing planting sites; and for relocating azaleas to better locations.
                >
                > On one of my spades several years ago I installed a sturdy green plastic foot pedal named a Shovel Mate, which greatly improves the efficiency of the space and the wear and tear on the human foot and torso.  I would like to find the same or a similar device to install on my other garden spades, but I no longer find the spade attachment in stores or on line.  In fact the searches on line just led to very questionable links, nothing related to garden spades.
                >
                > Can anyone help me find more of these spade efficiency devices?  If you used one, you would have to have it.
                >
                > Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
                > Lexington, South Carolina

              • daughteroftyr
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 3, 2012
                  I'm in the same boat. I just picked up a "shovelmate", too. It is different from the "two hose clamps" version. The version I have only requires one long machine screw to be tightened to secure the "shovelmate" to the shovel.

                  Ruth

                  --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Mike Creel <mikeacreel@...> wrote:

                  > My group of garden spades are essential to my azalea gardening - for removing pest trees, shrubs and roots; for preparing planting sites; and for relocating azaleas to better locations.
                  >
                  > On one of my spades several years ago I installed a sturdy green plastic foot pedal named a Shovel Mate, which greatly improves the efficiency of the space and the wear and tear on the human foot and torso.  I would like to find the same or a similar device to install on my other garden spades, but I no longer find the spade attachment in stores or on line.  In fact the searches on line just led to very questionable links, nothing related to garden spades.
                  >
                  > Can anyone help me find more of these spade efficiency devices?  If you used one, you would have to have it.
                  >
                  > Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
                  > Lexington, South Carolina

                • daughteroftyr
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 3, 2012
                    http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/6419290.html

                    This is the one I have, but I haven't been about to find a store that carries it.

                    Ruth

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 4, 2012
                      Ruth, do you remember where you bought your shovelmate?  I cannot remember exactly, perhaps K-Mart, Northern Equipment or Harbor Freight.  It is a wonderful tool, much heavier duty than any similar shovel add on I have seen. I even kept the printed cardboard it was attached to.  Where is that cardboard now, maybe it got trashed during our recent garage organizing.  With the shovel mate attached I have been able to do some real digging and root cutting, without hurting my feet.

                      --- In mailto:azaleas%40yahoogroups.com, Mike Creel <mikeacreel@...> wrote:

                      > My group of garden spades are essential to my azalea gardening - for removing pest trees, shrubs and roots; for preparing planting sites; and for relocating azaleas to better locations.
                      >
                      > On one of my spades several years ago I installed a sturdy green plastic foot pedal named a Shovel Mate, which greatly improves the efficiency of the space and the wear and tear on the human foot and torso.  I would like to find the same or a similar device to install on my other garden spades, but I no longer find the spade attachment in stores or on line.  In fact the searches on line just led to very questionable links, nothing related to garden spades.
                      >
                      > Can anyone help me find more of these spade efficiency devices?  If you used one, you would have to have it.
                      >
                      > Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
                      > Lexington, South Carolina

                    • Sherrod Baden
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 5, 2012
                        A.M Leonard Item AMFP
                        Listed at 6.99

                        Fits their spades, but might could be adapted to other applications.