transplanting?

  • T & B Rich
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2012
      [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]

      I've had Azaleas for 20 years that came from my mothers home and I need to know how I can take some of the original plant and use in another location. Moving the whole plant is out of the question and the sentimental value is the only reason I'm trying to save the plants. Ideas anyone?

      Thanks
      TMR
    • michael.campbell3@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2012
        Don't actually do this without hearing suggestions from the others.
        1. Simply take a chainsaw and cut them down to the ground, don't let the size scare you.
        2. Dig out the root ball around 30" diameter and maybe a foot deep.
        3. Move plants to a hole a little wider and deeper.  Use a mixture of the dirt in the hole and small pine bark nuggets (use some peat and perlite if you have it).  Water in well.
        4. They'll grow back and provide a fantastic show about 16 months from now.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2012
          Happy New Year !

          WW and Van Veen will root your cuttings.  Both are very reasonable.  I have some @ Van Veen.

          Rooted cuttings are probably smaller than you wanted, but many Azaleas grow quickly.

          http://www.wwnurseries.com/