Re: [AZ] Fall blooming azalea

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 8, 2011
      Tad,

      It appears to be a double.  I don't see any stamen.  The blotch reminds me of pouk (sp?).  It might well be a Gable hybrid.

      Bill

      Tadeusz Dauksza wrote:
      Mike ;

       I believe that Robert if from the Big Apple area,  and old-timer , could have some Gartrell plants , looks like a kaempferii to me.

      Tadeusz-LM

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 8, 2011
        It appears to me, not 100% sure, to be the Gable Hybrid 'Herbert' (poukhanense x 'Hexe').  'Herbert' will  bloom in the Fall occasionally for me.  I've tried to use 'Herbert' in some breeding work, however was unable to
        set seed or to get viable pollen.  'Herbert' is a great little azalea with a nice growth habit, heavy spring bloomer, great spring and fall leaf color.

        Strange you mentioned 'Karens' (Hinode Giri x poukhanense), because I was in the process of cleaning seeds from a 'Karens' crosses when I read this post.  I can't brag on 'Karens' enough.  Its a wonderful azalea and
        it is great to work with in a breeding program.  Stated to be hardy to -25 F.  I think it is extremely more hardier (test show).   Autumn Amethyst TM has 'Karens" gentics.  I have a pink selection in production with 'Karens' gentics thats being released next year.

        buddy

      • michael.campbell3@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 8, 2011
          My friend Tad grows a lot of evergreen azaleas but being a little further away from the lake I'm a bit colder than he.  Karen does great for me.  I get very few Herbert or poukanese blooms (those buds under snow) and nothing else but Karen buds withstand -15F in windy underprotected areas with no impact.  I'm had mornings below -20F and weeks with average temp around -10F.  I would place Karen between Exbury's and Northern Lights with regards to bud toughness (I've lost Exbury plants and tons of flower buds on exbury's but apart from shedding some leaves Karen is unfazed.

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 9, 2011
            Hi All,
            As a lurker in this discussion I find that the plant in question is called both 'Karen' and 'Karens'. Also, the azaleas.org picture site lists both names (though different hybridizers), so which one is being discussed as having super-cold-hardiness?
            Barry

            > My friend Tad grows a lot of evergreen azaleas but being a little further away from the lake I'm a bit colder than he. Karen does great for me. I get very few Herbert or poukanese blooms (those buds under snow) and nothing else but Karen buds withstand -15F in windy underprotected areas with no impact. I'm had mornings below -20F and weeks with average temp around -10F. I would place Karen between Exbury's and Northern Lights with regards to bud toughness (I've lost Exbury plants and tons of flower buds on exbury's but apart from shedding some leaves Karen is unfazed.

          • Robert Emmerich
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 9, 2011
              I should have mentioned the identity of the azalea!
              It is one of my own hybrids. R. sekidera x Rosette (Glen Dale). The
              plants is over 50 years old.

              Bob
            • Buddy Lee
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 9, 2011
                Nice looking plant.  I would not have guessed that it had sekidera genetics.  The fall blooming trait must come form the
                sekidera side of the family.

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 9, 2011
                  the 'Karens' that I mentioned is the ("Hinode Giri X poukhanense) by Pederson   It is also stated to tolerate pH of 7 and to be fragrant (thats a stretch), however it
                  is very cold hardy.

                  ---- michael.campbell3@... wrote:
                  > My friend Tad grows a lot of evergreen azaleas but being a little further away from the lake I'm a bit colder than he. Karen does great for me. I get very few Herbert or poukanese blooms (those buds under snow) and nothing else but Karen buds withstand -15F in windy underprotected areas with no impact.
                  I'm had mornings below -20F and weeks with average temp around -10F. I would place Karen between Exbury's and Northern Lights with regards to bud toughness (I've lost Exbury plants and tons of flower buds on exbury's but apart from shedding some leaves Karen is unfazed.

                  id=misspell-14 class=mark>poukhanense x 'Hexe'). 'Herbert' will bloom in the Fall occasionally for me. I've tried to use 'Herbert' in some breeding work, however was unable to

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 9, 2011
                    I have a little growing collection of fall and late flowering azaleas.  The white August to Frost is one of the best I think.  I photographed a large plant of it near Roanoke, VA, October 19, 2006, when returning from a propagation workshop at Mary Henry Arboretum.

                    One curious azalea, probably Sekidera was sent to me as cuttings which I rooted.  When the cuttings arrived there was noticeable fragrance in the plastic bag and 3 or more colors of flowers, plus two different flower shapes, one larger one smaller. The sepals are quite long and large, and sticky as if covered in fresh honey.  Are the large sticky sepals characteristic of Seikidera?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 10, 2011
                      Dear Buddy,

                          I'll bet you think I've passed on.......but, that hasn't happened yet.  Mary and I have our problems, but we're still hanging in there.

                          I'm writing in regard to your opinion of the variety you think the published azalea photo is.  I'm really glad to hear your expert opinion.  I might agree, if I could see our 'Herbert' blooming in the fall.........but, it hasn't.  Maybe we're too far north.  When I saw the photo, I immediately went outside and looked at our two blooming 'Attumn Royalty' azaleas.  If it wasn't for the colored foliage, I'd have said the variety was 'Autumn Royalty'.  The flower color and shape certainly look the same to me, but the foliage is completely different.  What's your take on that?

                          Hopefully, you, Dixie and your family will have a very merry Christmas.

                          Warm Regards,

                      Bill

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 12, 2011
                        Bill,

                        It is good to see you posting on the thread.

                        I do look at the messages too often, I've been quite busy and I am living and working in New York City.........my azaleas are just a fond memory.

                        I did notice that I had not seen a post from you and was thinking about you.

                        John Mackenroth

                        2550% Penny Stock Gains?
                        Our last pick exploded 2550% - Join our newsletter for free picks!
                        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4ee6153db6939b0a7dfst04duc