Re: [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]

  • Steve Henning
    Message 1 of 287 , Sep 11, 2011
      original sent by email directly to Connie:

      Hi Connie,

      The wild azaleas in the US are deciduous azaleas. There are also some deciduous azaleas native to Europe, most notably R. luteum. In the late 1800's, crosses between the American azaleas and luteum were made and are called Ghent azaleas. They have many yellows.

      Evergreen azaleas began to be established in Europe in the early 1800's. The first ones were not hardy and were used for greenhouse and indoor decoration, and are know as Indian or Belgian Indian Hybrids.

      A mixed group of evergreen azaleas developed in the southern US beginning in the middle of the 1800's, in part from the Belgian Indian types, is known as Southern Indian Hybrids.

      I believe you are on the right tract, that the plants were native American azaleas.

      Steve Henning, Zone 6, PA USA

      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Connie Hayes <connie.jim.hayes@...> wrote:

      > My ancestors settled in Georgia from Austria in 1734. A cousin recently told
      > me she had some azaleas that had been brought over by our Salzburger
      > ancestors. I haven't seen them yet, but I'm guessing they're more like the
      > naive (wild) azalea. She says the blooms are orange. Do you know of azaleas
      > brought from Europe, or are azaleas native to North America.
      >
      > I'm wondering if perhaps an ancestor simply transplanted azaleas from the
      > original settlement to their new home a bit farther away.
      >
      > --
      > *Connie Hayes*
      > *Healthy Hollow Organic Farms*
      > *2321 Old River Road South*
      > *Brooklet, Georgia 30415*
      > *www.healthyhollowfarms.com* <http://www.healthyhollowfarms.com/>
      > *912-823-3563*
    • Elaine Sedlack
      Message 287 of 287 , Oct 20 7:03 AM
        That is a photo of seed of the dodder plant, a Cuscuta species, and not the azalea forming seed. It is a parasitic vine which has attached itself to the azalea, and it should be removed. It can stunt the plant's growth and also is known to spread disease.

        Thanks for writing to the forum,
        Elaine

        On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 4:37 PM, "PseudoNameForMe@... [azaleas]" <azaleas@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) from PseudoNameForMe@... included below]
            [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]

        I have this little seedpod growing on my azalea. It is also growing on a Youpon plant that is right next to the azalea plant. Can anybody tell me what this is or what to do for it?
        Much thanks

        Sent from AOL Mobile Mail