Re: [AZ] Re: Pine Bark Mulch

  • Nicholas Yarmoshuk
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 10, 2011
      Ron

       too am a great fan of shredded oak leaves.
      How do you mulch with the fine shredded oak leave and do not experience this material blowing away in the first breeze after distributing it.   In St.Catharines, I don't have that trouble, but here I compost the oak leaves for 6 months before I use them

      I have a new bed (with 70 plants in it) that is in a pretty open and airy (read windy) location on the shores of Lake Erie.   I am about to mulch it with shredded oak leaves.   I am afraid the mulch will all blow away.   Any suggestions.

      By the way . . .  I also have access to a good quanity of pine and sprice wood from branches.   I have always composted that material with shredded oak leaves and then used that material as a mulch.  Seems to work in my patch.

      Nick Yarmoshuk

      On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Ron Rabideau <rhodyrex@...> wrote:
      My take on organic mulches is that they provide far more benefit than
      potentially altering the pH. The addition of organic matter to a soil can
      ameliorate the effect of pH such that one could grow a wider range of
      plants in the amended soil that one without the organic material. This is
      because of the complex ion exchange interactions whereby the organic
      materials can bind nutrients and make them available over a wider range of
      pH. Additionally the organic material provides a substrate for mycorhizae
      and other beneficial organisms that assist in making nutrients available
      to plant roots. Lastly,  organic material mixed into the soil greatly
      improves it's ability to hold moisture and when applied on the surface as
      a mulch it forms a barrier to slow down loss of water by evaporation from
      the soil surface.  Mulches abviously suppress weeds as well.

      My absolute favorite mulch for rhodos and azaleas is shredded oak leaves.
      I have been using shredded red oak leaves for years and they are
      fantastic. If you have ever noticed leaves- especially oak leaves sittling
      in water, they color the water brown. These are humic substances and are
      some of the organic materials in the leaves that greatly benefit the
      plants.

      --
      Ron Rabideau
      Camden, NJ

      ------------------------------------

      When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.  And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.

      We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By attaching them you agree that, without giving up your rights to them, they may be shown on Azalea Society websites.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         azaleas-digest@yahoogroups.com
         azaleas-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --

      WebRep
      Overall rating

    • Ron Rabideau
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 10, 2011
        William,
        Interesting, I never had access to beech leaves and didn't know about
        their usefulness.

        Ron

        --
        Ron Rabideau
        Camden, NJ
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 10, 2011
          Nick,
          I never had any problem with the material blowing away but then I haven't
          applied it in any really windy exposed locations. If you compost it for
          six months to a year you shouldn't have any problems.
          Buckwheat hull mulch is one you really have to be carefull about the wind
          blowing it away.

          Ron

          --
          Ron Rabideau
          Camden, NJ
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 10, 2011
            Don't know how it works there where you are, but oak leaves sometimes produce a mold which causes more problems than it helps.  If that mold gets into the soil, it's there for decades.  If the concern is creating a stable pH in the soil, why not just mix in some coarse peat moss?  It's stable for years, at least 15 to 20, and some of mine are going on 30 years.  A lower pH tends to suppress weeds anyway, at least here it does.  A pH below 7.0 promotes the release of the hydrogen ion which will free up nutrients and make them available in a water soluble form the feeder roots of azaleas et al can use.  As for retaining moisture in the soil, this will do the job quite well, but adding some calcium sulphate [gypsum] once or twice annually is even better.

            George E. Klump
            Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 11, 2011
              The ASA website at
              http://www.azaleas.org/index.pl/azxDiaDrA.html
              shows that 'Doctor Curtis Alderfer' is the correct name, and that it
              has synonyms 'Doctor Curtis Aldifer' and 'Doctor Alderfer'. The
              website shows name info from the 2004 edition of The International
              Rhododendron Register and Checklist, which is a very carefully
              researched authority. So I would say Galle is listing the same plant
              under two different names, in error. The p. 202 reference in Galle is
              correct.

              Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7

            • jrm1213@juno.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 11, 2011
                Dr Curtis Alderfer is a Linwood variety, hardy to about 20 to 25 degrees F.  It was numbered C-24 and is the result of a 1953 cross of "K-28" x "Koenig".

                I believe it was named for one of Mr. Fischer's professors at Cornell.

                Groupon™ Official Site
                Groupon.com
              • Ted Stecki
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 12, 2011
                  Dr Aldefer was a photographer .....Al Reid met him at the ARS convention at the Nat Arb in Washinton,DC. Al liked him before he knew he drank. He named a Linwood after him, C24, he told me he was sorry that he did because of his drinking.Al was a Methodist and didn't approve of drinking. I have all of the history of the Linwoods as I spent alot of time wth Al before he died in Feb 1986.
                  Ted Stecki
                  90 Kresson-Gibbsboro Rd
                  Voorhees, NJ 08043