pruning azaleas

  • Edmond Bolyn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2011

      This is from the ASK US page so please send me a CC.

      Should I clip the faded blooms of my azaleas or just leave them to wither and die?

      Thank you.
      Judith Bolyn
    • bsperling
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2011
        Hi Judith,
        I have noticed a SMALL improvement when I clip (or pull) off the old
        flowers AND the seed pod behind, without taking any leaves off. I know
        hybridizers do it, but I (and they) don't have the energy to do it to
        any but very small plants. If the plants are more than about 1 ft. high
        and 1 ft. wide you might as well leave them alone as the effort won't be
        worth it.
        Barry