Re: [AZ] Dolly Sods

    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2011
      Steve:
      I guess you are talking about Pinkshell Azalea (Rhododendron prinophyllum) blooming at Dolly Sods?  Don't other native azalea species also grow there, such as viscosum and perhaps canadense?

      The oldest prinophyllum plants planted in my yard are just a season or two from blooming maturity.  The ribbed leaves seem pretty distinctive.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011

        Mike,

        I am talking about R.prinophyllum. I’m not aware of other azaleas at Dolly Sods. They may be there though.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2011
        I visited Dolly Sods Scenic Area yesterday and the prinofolium was putting on a good show. Coming from the my location North East of the area, I went to Petersburg WV, then SE on WV 23. There was a small sign "Dolly Sods" where Forest Road 19 (FR 19) connects to WV23. Took FR19 up to the top then went North on FR75 to Bear Rocks at the North End.

        Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2011

          I will answer from my perspective. It is not unreasonable that other natives might be present but my trip to Dolly Sods was an eleven hour round trip with perhaps three hours of exploring. I am not expert enough with natives to identify others that might not be blooming.
          Concerning canadensis, I have observed canadensis growing and blooming  on Campobello Island just above Maine and there is a similarity of habitat. Campobello is a big granite rock with bog locations (where the canadensis grows) which exist because the rain water is trapped by rock and cannot readily drain away.
          Dolly Sods is a big plateau formed by sedimentary sandstone / conglomerate and in many places there are also bogs. I do not know whether canadensis exists there. I do know it exists in a certain area in the Pocono mountains of Pennsylvania. While Dolly Sods is not as far North as Canada, the plateau is some 4,000 feet high in West Virginia which makes it cool.
          On another matter, has the nakaharai hybrid I sent bloomed? My plant is just showing color.