AZEALEA QUESTIONS

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2011
      This is from the ASK US page.  Please send me a cc.  What is the best way to root fresh cuttings from azealeas?  When is the best time?  I live in central Florida.
    • Steve Henning
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2011
        Hi Dan,

        Thanks for asking the Azalea Group.

        The easiest way to root azalea cuttings is to send them to Kathy Van Veen at Van Veen Nursery  in Portland, Oregon.

        To root cutting yourself is rather involved.  First, rooting azaleas depends upon the variety.  Evergreen azaleas are much easier to root than deciduous (including native) azaleas.  Here are some good references:

        Rooting Azalea and Lepidote Rhododendron Cuttings  by Don Hyatt

        Propagating Azalea Cuttings  by the Azalea Society of America

        Propagation  by Harold Greer

        Propagation of Azaleas  by University of Georga

        Porpagating from Cuttings and Graftings  by Tijs Huisman of Holland

        Propagation of Rhododendrons and Azaleas  from Henning's Rhododendron & Azalea Pages

        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2011
          Reply sent to Dan: