Re: [AZ] Hardwood

  • Nicholas Yarmoshuk
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2011
      Why not plant a "hardwood"  tree beside the "shrub"
      I'd love to know what is HOA  and where in North America such rules exist.  Why do they exist?
      Thanks for letting us know.
      Nick Yarmoshuk
      St.Catharines ON Canada

      On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Sinead Lancaster <lancaster.sinead@...> wrote:

      Is azalea considered a hardwood? I am told I am req'd by my HOA to have
      a hardwood tree in my front yard and they want me to remove my azalea
      (or as they called it 'the shrub'. Can it be pruned to grow tall and
      narrow like a tree? If so, where might I find the info on how to do it?
      Thank you for being there.
      T S Lancaster

      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2011
        Hi Nick,

        An HOA is a Home Owner's Association.  It usually involves an agreement that you will do or will not do certain things.  Or, there is a mechanism by which you must seek permission to do certain things.  It's an effort by the community to police itself so that folks cannot damage the property values by bizarre behavior.  It is not all that uncommon; however, I don't believe we have one in my neighborhood.  I suspect they might be more common in newer developments and expensive, "gated communities."

        In this particular example, the individual homeowner is required to plant some kind of hardwood tree in their front yard --- so all of the houses in that development look very much alike from the curb.  The agreement may well specify and limit the kind of trees (e.g., hardwood) may be selected.  Such agreements may require that you limit parking on the street (assuming the homes typically have driveways and garages) or they can forbid you from putting up a flag pole and flying a flag in your front yard; or  put limitations on where you can place a satellite dish.   Such an agreement can require that you maintain your property in a certain fashion, like mow the lawn occasionally.  You might have to seek permission to remove trees of a certain size from your property.  You may be prohibited from running certain businesses out of your home to limit traffic in the neighborhood.

        I understand the principle, but it has always seemed a bit heavy handed to me.
          It strikes a bitter cord when someone finds out they are not permitted to fly the "Stars and Stripes" on their personal property, a common limitation found in many agreements. On the other hand, it's difficult to watch the neighbor next door let their property go totally "wild" (rat's nest) which adversely effects the property values of the surrounding homes and makes it more difficult for you to sell your home.  Every so often, you will read about such a case in the newspaper where a homeowner objects and even goes to court over some aspect of the agreement.  I remember reading about a case where a home owner refused to mow his lawn --- so after many attempts to reason with the individual, the association had it done and billed the home owner.  I don't remember how it turned out.

        William C. Miller III (Bill)
        Bethesda, Maryland --- Zone 7
        www.theazaleaworks.com

        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2011
          Bill

          Many thanks for that.  I'm not good with acronyms.   Of course, now that I have a definition of an HOA I realize that we have HOA's here, usually associated with newly developed "gated" communities or condominium style developments.

          I am reminded of story about a feisty rhododendron grower who was told that she could not bring any of her rhodos and azaleas to the plot of land in front of her new home when she became of a certain age that required her to move from her farm to the smaller, more manageable property.  The reasons were given as you described.   Her response, less than 48 hours after being told that she could not do it, was to transplant 20 small lepidotes to the new location.   Not only did she sign up the project developer (and rule writer) as members of the ARS but she was also postumously recognized with an ARS  Silver Medal at the 1998 ARS Convention.

          Nick Yarmoshuk

          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2011
            Nick,

            When they make the newspaper, they are often compelling stories.  The frequent scenario is that it's usually a veteran of the Normandy Invasion, a survivor of Tarawa or Iwo Jima, or a veteran who experienced the horrors of the Chosen reservoir or the Pusan Perimeter in Korea who decides he wants to put up a flag pole and fly the US flag to show his support for his country and our military --- and he is told he cannot since it isn't permitted in the agreement.  Such prohibitions seem kind of at odds with the fundamental concept of "Freedom."
              As you might expect, many of these 80-something year olds often ( you said feisty) object in very colorful language that cannot be printed in the newspaper and shouldn't appear on the Internet.  Occasionally wisdom prevails, an exception is made, the pole goes up, the flag flies, and there is a generally happy ending.

            In looking at my previous posting I used the word cord when I meant chord.  My apologies.

            William C. Miller III (Bill)
            Bethesda, Maryland --- Zone 7
            www.theazaleaworks.com

            Nicholas Yarmoshuk wrote:

            Why not plant a "hardwood"  tree beside the "shrub"
            I'd love to know what is HOA  and where in North America such rules exist.  Why do they exist?
            Thanks for letting us know.
            Nick Yarmoshuk
            St.Catharines ON Canada

            On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Sinead Lancaster <lancaster.sinead@...> wrote:

            Is azalea considered a hardwood? I am told I am req'd by my HOA to have
            a hardwood tree in my front yard and they want me to remove my azalea
            (or as they called it 'the shrub'. Can it be pruned to grow tall and
            narrow like a tree? If so, where might I find the info on how to do it?
            Thank you for being there.
            T S Lancaster

          • Larry Wallace
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2011
              A female Ginko would qualify.  When mature its' fragrance would be objectionable.  I am sure they would allow any kind of replacement.

              --
              Larry Wallace
              Cincinnati
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2011
                Sinead,

                Yes, an azalea is considered a hardwood, but not a hardwood tree.  Tree is usually reserved for plants that grow 20 feet tall or more.  The terminology hardwood is from the terminology that a hardwood is a broadleaved woody plant and a softwood is a conifer.

                In actuality, many hardwoods have soft wood and many softwoods have hard wood.  Balsam and weeping willow are examples of hardwoods with very soft wood.  Yew and Douglas fir are softwoods that are quite hard and used as flooring.

                Azaleas are hardwood woody shrubs.

                Some azaleas can be pruned to grow upright, but seldom would you ever call one a tree.

                Steve Henning
                Reading, PA  USA 6