Re: [AZ] calendulaceum and flammeum

  • sjperk5
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2011
      Here is Salem, NH the amount of sunlight determines if Rhododendron and azaleas set bud.

      The amount of water determines the extend of bud set if there is sunlight.

      John Perkins
      Salem, NH

      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, bill butts <turniptown75@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Earl and Bruce.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Earl Sommerville
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2011
        John,

        All native azaleas need sun to grow are set bud. The more sun that a plant get from sun up to mid after noon control the plant grow and amount of bud set, more sun better bud set and less plant growth. But if the ground is dry to very dry you will weight till the following year for blooms.

        Earl Sommerville
        Marietta GA

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5930 (20110306) __________

        http://www.eset.com

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5930 (20110306) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • Ted Meredith
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2011
          Deloris,
          When we first purchased the Henson Road 13 acres, very few of the native azaleas were blooming.  The reason was, I felt, because there was too much competition for light, water, and nutrients from brush and trees.  So, we went about reducing that competition by removing competing brush and some trees.  It worked--the native azaleas began to bloom  and some began to bloom heavily.  I have continued to remove competing vegetation around newly found native azaleas and every year there are more native azaleas in bloom that have not bloomed before.  That is true for this spring too.  There will be plants that have never bloomed before, which will be blooming.  It is always very suspenseful and interesting to see the color of the new ones when they bloom.
          I believe another restricting factor re growth and bloom is lack of mulch or organic matter around the native azalea.  This is especially important for native azaleas located on sloping topography.  The mulch serves several positive purposes.  One of the mulches I use is portions of tree trunks and large tree limbs.  The tree trunk and limb portions will gradually decompose.  They last about five years depending on diameter and species of the wood.  The appearance of the tree trunk material can be non-natural looking.  However, I would have to buy a railroad box car of mulch if I would use commercial mulch, with no way to get it into the woods and on the plants, especially on the steeper slopes.  The tree trunks are placed on the downhill side of the native azaleas and they trap tree leaves in the fall and winter.
          A very interesting observation on our property is that after native azaleas are released from competing vegetation, some native azaleas put on flower buds within the next near or two while other native azaleas put on vegetative growth.  I don't know if that is due to genetics, site, or physiology.
          Ted
          Clermont, GA

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 7, 2011
            North Andover and Andover, MA have Rhododendron viscosum in all the wet areas. During the housing boom, whenever an area was cleared for a new housing addition, you could see the Rhododendron viscosum bloom in the wet areas that had been exposed to more light.

            The same thing happens when they clear the trees to do some type of construction on I93. Turns out the bog near exit 1 I93 in New Hampshire has both R. canadense and R. viscosum. The south bound lane near Exit 1 cuts through what was a boggy type area. Sally and I looked for R. viscosum near this area on both sides of I93 near Exit 1 and could never find it. To widen the bridge they removed trees from between the north and south bound lanes and the R. viscosum between the lanes bloomed fully last year. Must have been 20 plants.

            John Perkins
            Salem, NH