Re: [AZ] OBE: Overtaken By Events (NA)

  • Nicholas Yarmoshuk
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 17, 2011
      Barry

      Sounds to me that this is similar to the "Not" issue, and associated prevarication,  that is currently before us in Canada's Parliament.   From where I sit, I cannot see this as a horticultural or financial issue that the administrators are dealing with, but are promulgating an ideological position.   When ideologic positions are what govern decisions, rational arguments will never prevail.

      Nick Yarmoshuk

      On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:45 PM, bsperling <bsperling@...> wrote:

      Hi All,
      As I mentioned, I wrote to my 2 senators and 1 congressman a letter
      which I copied to this group. Senator Webb's office contacted the USNA
      and received a reply from Ramon Jordan, Interim Associate Director,
      USNA, on 2/4 (letter dated 2/2). I received the letter (apparently the
      original, signed) last week.
      Also, today I received a letter from Senator Warner's office that they
      have contacted the USDA and will keep me posted as to a reply (letter
      dated 2/4).
      As funding events have transpired over the last week, Mr. Jordan's
      reply, 1 1/2 pages, may be of only historical significance, however
      I'll post an interesting paragraph. Notice the "regardless" in the
      first sentence:

      "We also identify the need--regardless of our future budget
      situation--to de-accession portions of the extensive Glenn Dale Hillside
      azalea collection. Though among the most popular seasonal attractions
      at the National Arboretum, these azaleas are for the most part
      undocumented plant material for which we as principally a scientific
      organization cannot justify long-term maintenance with public funds and
      limited private support. According to the long range plan, the azaleas
      of unknown pedigree (about 25 percent of the collection) would be
      removed--with some germplasm preserved and distributed--and the space
      they occupied replanted with documented azaleas. If funding or
      assistance does not become available, native trees or meadow plants will
      be planted to restore the area. As funding becomes available, we will
      use this space to plant pedigreed Glenn Dale azaleas, organized in a way
      that also will be aesthetically pleasing and make the most use of the
      (future) limited gardening staff availability. Most removals are
      expected to take place no sooner than late summer or early fall of 2011."

      So, I hope that, with the private funding becoming available, the above
      will become moot, but is that in writing anywhere? The "regardless" in
      the above paragraph is a little unsettling ...
      Barry

    • George Klump
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 22, 2011

        Tadeusz,

        You make good points here.

        It may be of interest to you to know, though, that we are the only double chapter, ARS/ASA, on the West Coast.  We've been an ARS chapter, since about 1975 and an ASA chapter, since probably 2005.

        One problem we had, when I was president of our chapter just after the turn of this century [and I was not alone in the perception of this problem either as it turned out], was the attitude we were up against viz-a-viz rhododendrons in Southern California.  The received knowledge was that they could not be grown here.  Just for samples I have R. Lem's Dark Purple, R. St. Bibiana, R. Scintillation, R. Mrs. Furnival, R. chapmanii [two of those], R. Markeeta's Flame plus several scattered through the maddenii, jamesonii, and lindleyi groups.  That's in addition to the R. vireyas and azaleas of which altogether there are probably 85+.  I grant that we have made mistakes along the way, some of us losing a plant or two from time to time for all kinds of reasons.  However, we learn from all of this as we go along and we have found a medium for planting which will work for Ericaceae in any soil and here at least seems to last indefinitely.

        The soil diseases we have encountered are no different than those encountered anywhere else.  We merely developed our planting medium to counteract that problem as much as possible.  So far the success rate at my house with the planting medium has been 100%, so I'm not arguing with success.  If a problem does develop, it usually is from some dumb thing I've done, e.g. not taken enough weather factors into account, when planting in the first place.  That is, sometimes one is a bit too conservative the first time around, as I was with a R. zoelleri, a fantastic bi-color rhododendron in the vireya group.  I backed it up about 18 inches too far into the shade of my gingko tree and it has since developed some tropism reaching for the sunlight, though it is otherwise healthy as a horse.  It's trunk at ground level is pushing 2 1/2 - 3 inches, so the smart move is to make no move.  It blooms well now, but not quite as profusely as it probably would have done had I been not so conservative in the planting location.   My R. Lem's Dark Purple was rescued literally from a local nursery over 30 years ago.  I planted it near the drip line of my orange tree where it has tripled at least in size, since it was first planted.  In fact it has bloomed twice annually for some time, once in November and once again in May.  It isn't supposed to do this, certainly not in Southern California, but I have not reprimanded it at all and it continues to flourish.

        So I ran into all kinds of attitude problems some years ago from some of the eastern and northern ARS chapter people.  We're here, nonetheless, sort of a stepchild, but a successful one insofar as our plants and methods of planting go.  It may have to do with the same thinking about rhododendrons that surrounded and may still surround the raising of orchids.  I have cymbidiums in the ground, in pots, dendrobium and other forms hanging from some of my trees.  They all bloom along with the fuchsias, so I have no complaints.  But you are quite right about the ARS and its overhead.  They seem to run a more expensive ship that does the ASA.  We get by by paying no attention to all of that.  But I'm glad you pointed some of this out.

        George E. Klump
        Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA

        On 2/16/2011 9:10 AM, Tadeusz Dauksza wrote:

          White;

           There is a huge difference between the two Societies.  A brand "new" Azalea chapter just opened-up in the Charleston, SC area,  when was the last ARS Chapter "created" in the US, or maybe "closed" ,   and this is the first time I am hearing that the ASA had trouble with membership or money.  I do carry both hats,  being a membership renewal chair for the ARS i had to pull all the stops, 2 renewal notices with SASE , emails- , telephone calls, sometimes to no avail.  yet just to give to a flavor , I volunteered this year to help Dan Krabill to take care of the Lake Michigan Azalea chapter renewals---      all done as of last month , exception  C. Trautmann who is moving to or has moved to the Beaver State .
         ASA also offers a 5 year lifetime membership ($100.00 per year)  vs 1K for the ARS.  We in the ASA have one annual convention ,  as a brand "new" chapter back in 2004 we in the Lake Michigan Chapter hosted and set-up the 2005 Annual convention and I might say we didn't ask for or forfeited any money after the convention---  my previous chapter in The ARS (Midwest) will have a 50 yr in 2012 -- yet they have "never" hosted or set-up a convention ( basically same area of the U.S).

         There are differences in the total memberships , yet if you exclude Overseas and  across the border  members from the ARS , you would  I believe basically have the same amount of members,  there is a huge amount of money in the ARS , yet some of it is "wasted"  on projects that don't benefit the membership ; example back at the King of Prussia conv at one of the stops we visited a plot of rhodies that was given a "grant"  for research  a comment was made from the Acting Prez at that time that there are "no controls"  to see the results, thus that particular grant was a wasted oppurtunity for members  (to this day , since 2004)  the ARS Journal
        has not "reported" about that research results.    When I joined the ARS, during meetings  I felt I like was a member that never existed (all cliquish like) , yet the opposite has happened in the Azalea Society--- i have met the best people that one hopes to get to know, and that makes-up for everything.

         take care White.

        Tadeusz-  Evansville 2011 ASA convention  -- basically 2 months left.