RE: [AZ] kiusianum

  • Harold Greer
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011

      There are two ‘Shogetsu’.  One is a Satsuki, the one you mention below, and the other is a form of R. kiusianum.  The R. kiusianum is the one Dennis G is looking for.

      Harold Greer

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011

        There are other similar colored R. kiusianum to ‘Shogetsu’.   I don’t feel that R. kiusianum would make as good of house plant as a Satsuki or other evergreen azalea.

        Harold Greer

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011
          According to the IRRC, the Rhododendron. kiusianum 'Shogetsu' is a white flower, Kyoma Yokata Nursery, 1976.  While the flower is white, I suspect it is a suppressed purple flower for breeding purposes and will convey purple to its progeny.  Just a guess.

          William C. Miller III
          Bethesda, Maryland
          www.theazaleaworks.com

          prometheus4096 wrote:

          There was just another person asking the same question. I wonder what caused this.

          I did a search and there are two 'Shogetsu'. One satsuki, one R.kiusianum.

          All I could find is http://www.sonomahort.com/azalea.htm saying they sell a satuski called 'Shogetsu'.

          What does R.kiusianum 'Shogetsu' look like and why are you interested in that cultivar so specifically? There are many many many azalea cultivar.

          --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis G" <finalminutes05@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for a kiusianum 'Shogetsu' or similiar colored flower.does anyone know where they are available? I'm from Boise,Idaho-plan on inside plant to avoid the 100 degree weather as well as cold in winter.

        • Larry Wallace
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011
            R. kiusianum  ‘Shogetsu Kyushu’ in the US has been shortened to 'Shogetsu'.

            Rhododendron kiusianum
          • Harold Greer
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011

              Incidentally, if you go to the Hirsutum Site listed below, and scroll down, you will eventually come to a picture labeled kiusianum var kiusianum 'Shogetsu'.  It is actually a picture of Prunus serrulata ‘Shogetsu’!  Oops that is a goof.

              Harold Greer