Re: [AZ] kiusianum

  • Larry Wallace
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011
      Shogetsu is produced by Monrovia, one of the giant nurseries.  It should be widely available.  Similar are 'Jack's Picotee' and 'Al's Picotee'; same pattern are 'Pink Picotee' and " Linda Sruart'.

      The chromosomes are in pairs, except the darker petal edges have sets of four.

      Van Veen Nursery has Al's Picotee.  I don't think Sonoma ships.

    • Harold Greer
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011

        There are two ‘Shogetsu’.  One is a Satsuki, the one you mention below, and the other is a form of R. kiusianum.  The R. kiusianum is the one Dennis G is looking for.

        Harold Greer

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011

          There are other similar colored R. kiusianum to ‘Shogetsu’.   I don’t feel that R. kiusianum would make as good of house plant as a Satsuki or other evergreen azalea.

          Harold Greer

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011
            According to the IRRC, the Rhododendron. kiusianum 'Shogetsu' is a white flower, Kyoma Yokata Nursery, 1976.  While the flower is white, I suspect it is a suppressed purple flower for breeding purposes and will convey purple to its progeny.  Just a guess.

            William C. Miller III
            Bethesda, Maryland
            www.theazaleaworks.com

            prometheus4096 wrote:

            There was just another person asking the same question. I wonder what caused this.

            I did a search and there are two 'Shogetsu'. One satsuki, one R.kiusianum.

            All I could find is http://www.sonomahort.com/azalea.htm saying they sell a satuski called 'Shogetsu'.

            What does R.kiusianum 'Shogetsu' look like and why are you interested in that cultivar so specifically? There are many many many azalea cultivar.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011
              R. kiusianum  ‘Shogetsu Kyushu’ in the US has been shortened to 'Shogetsu'.

              Rhododendron kiusianum
            • Harold Greer
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011

                Incidentally, if you go to the Hirsutum Site listed below, and scroll down, you will eventually come to a picture labeled kiusianum var kiusianum 'Shogetsu'.  It is actually a picture of Prunus serrulata ‘Shogetsu’!  Oops that is a goof.

                Harold Greer