Item about Ilam Azaleas

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
      The name of the link below is misleading. It's an item about Ilam azaleas.

      http://www.beerpromotiongirls.com/news/?p=780

      --

      William C. Miller III
      Bethesda, Maryland
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
        Here is one about the Beer Promotion Girls:

        www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2006/05/27/1648820.htm?site=news

        --
        Larry Wallace
        Cincinnati

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
            Bill, yes the site article seems to be about Ilam azaleas, but seems confused and I do not know how much to take seriously.

            Among other things the article says: "A recital of the virtues of these stunning shrubs must include two more features: all are deliciously fragrant in blossom, an inheritance from the native swamp azalea; and most of them are self sterile so that faded blossoms need not be picked from the plants to prevent the formation of seeds which normally inhibit bloom for the next season. All who grow Ghent azaleas are aware that they bloom really well only every second year, unless the dead blossoms are plucked from the plants. When the Ilam azaleas become commercially available this laborious task will be at an end. Self sterility was bred into the plants at the same time that size, wide color range, fragrance, heavy texture and the intriguing blossom form were blended into one master strain."

            true or not?

            also "This description of the Dam azaleas is a preview of a rare and important event in horticulture. The best plants have not yet been named or propagated as clones for commercial distribution in America. That will be the next step after the several hundred plants now in this country have been tested and evaluated. But remember the name, because the Dam azaleas are destined to be horticultural sensations when they are placed on the market."

            never heard of the Dam azaleas. Is this a spoof or what?

            Also whatever happened to the Ilams. Have not heard much in a long time.

            Tom Schuetz
            schuetz101@...
            Mechanicsburg, PA   USDA Zone 6a

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
              Brighton "Dam Azaleas"

              http://www.gardenvisit.com/garden/brighton_dam_azalea_garden

              Self sterility is misunderstood.  They produce very few seeds if you only grow a single cultivar.  Everything else is misunderstood.
              --
              Larry Wallace
              Cincinnati

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                    Bill, I googled Dam azaleas and came up with the Brighton Dam grouping, which as you indicate are evergreen and cannot be related to Ilams. When I find something that does not make sense in a reference, I discard the whole reference.

                  Message 9 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                    Message 10 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                      In context, it seems to me that "Dam" is a typo for "Ilam" that
                      slipped by a sloppy/sleepy proofreader. And Ilams (Dams?) have been
                      around for a long time -- I think one of the first deciduous azaleas
                      I killed, probably in the early '70s, was a gorgeous red Ilam.

                      Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7

                        Message 12 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                          I assume  that  Bob Stelloh  is   a previewer  of  the  group  mail before  allowing being sent   within  the azaleas  groups--

                          Bob , or to  whom it may concern.  I   am no longer  a member  of ASA  and  also I do not  remember  signing in  for the groups'  mail- would  appreciate   removal  on  my e mail address  from  the   mail list--

                          Thanks    --Bill Pinkerton

                          Message 13 of 15 , Feb 2, 2011
                            Our very limited experience here in Salem, NH with Ilam deciduous azalea is they are not very hardy. They survive but do not thrive here. We grew half a dozen and none did well here. Ours were unnamed Ilams.

                            Warning ploidy talk.

                            Most Ghent, Knaphills and Exburys are very likely polyploids and most of those tetraploids. Most Ilams being based on the Knaphills are most likely polyploids. I would guess the hardier ones are mostly tetraploids. I would guess those that are seed sterile are mostly triploids.

                            Most commercial hybrid nonlate blooming deciduous azaleas are polyploids.

                            So far every deciduous azalea cross of a diploid by tetraploid has tested as triploid. Our guess is a few individual deciduous azalea plants from such mixed ploidy crosses will be tetraploids but we have found no such lab tested examples to date. The evidence is strong for diploid X tetraploid deciduous azalea occasionally throwing tetraploid offspring but no conclusive evidence to date.

                            Note: There are no documented self fertile deciduous azaleas if you define fertile as producing viable offpsring.

                            John Perkins
                            Salem, NH

                            --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Bob Stelloh <bstelloh@...> wrote:

                            > In context, it seems to me that "Dam" is a typo for "Ilam" that
                            > slipped by a sloppy/sleepy proofreader. And Ilams (Dams?) have been
                            > around for a long time -- I think one of the first deciduous azaleas
                            > I killed, probably in the early '70s, was a gorgeous red Ilam.
                            >
                            > Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7
                            >
                            > On Feb 1, 2011, at 1:12 PM, William C. Miller III wrote:
                            >

                            > > Tom,
                            > >
                            > > As far as I know, which is not very far, the Ilam hybrids are a
                            > > product of New Zealand. I really don't know that much about them
                            > > --- not even enough to concur with that posting. Like most people,
                            > > my info comes from Galle. I read the piece a second time to see if
                            > > I missed the reference to a hybrid group named Dam. I agree that
                            > > the article raises more questions than it answers.
                            > >
                            > > Bill
                            > >
                            > > Tom Schuetz wrote:
                            > >>

                            > >> Bill, yes the site article seems to be about Ilam azaleas, but
                            > >> seems confused and I do not know how much to take seriously.
                            > >>
                            > >> Among other things the article says: "A recital of the virtues of
                            > >> these stunning shrubs must include two more features: all are
                            > >> deliciously fragrant in blossom, an inheritance from the native
                            > >> swamp azalea; and most of them are self sterile so that faded
                            > >> blossoms need not be picked from the plants to prevent the
                            > >> formation of seeds which normally inhibit bloom for the next
                            > >> season. All who grow Ghent azaleas are aware that they bloom
                            > >> really well only every second year, unless the dead blossoms are
                            > >> plucked from the plants. When the Ilam azaleas become commercially
                            > >> available this laborious task will be at an end. Self sterility
                            > >> was bred into the plants at the same time that size, wide color
                            > >> range, fragrance, heavy texture and the intriguing blossom form
                            > >> were blended into one master strain."
                            > >>
                            > >> true or not?
                            > >>
                            > >> also "This description of the Dam azaleas is a preview of a rare
                            > >> and important event in horticulture. The best plants have not yet
                            > >> been named or propagated as clones for commercial distribution in
                            > >> America. That will be the next step after the several hundred
                            > >> plants now in this country have been tested and evaluated. But
                            > >> remember the name, because the Dam azaleas are destined to be
                            > >> horticultural sensations when they are placed on the market."
                            > >>
                            > >> never heard of the Dam azaleas. Is this a spoof or what?
                            > >>
                            > >> Also whatever happened to the Ilams. Have not heard much in a long
                            > >> time.
                            > >>
                            > >> Tom Schuetz
                            > >> schuetz101@...
                            > >> Mechanicsburg, PA USDA Zone 6a

                          • Bob Kelly
                            Message 14 of 15 , Feb 2, 2011
                              As I recall, Jeremy Wells in Penrose, NC, grew a group of selected Ilams that did well in much of the SE US.  One of his customers was Walmart where I bought several.  He finally went out of business a few years back--probably the victim of Walmart's purchasing methods.

                              Bob Kelly
                              Aberdeen, MS

                              In context, it seems to me that "Dam" is a typo for "Ilam" that
                              slipped by a sloppy/sleepy proofreader. And Ilams (Dams?) have been
                              around for a long time -- I think one of the first deciduous azaleas
                              I killed, probably in the early '70s, was a gorgeous red Ilam.

                              Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7

                              On Feb 1, 2011, at 1:12 PM, William C. Miller III wrote:

                              > Tom,
                              >
                              > As far as I know, which is not very far, the Ilam hybrids are a
                              > product of New Zealand. I really don't know that much about them
                              > --- not even enough to concur with that posting. Like most people,
                              > my info comes from Galle. I read the piece a second time to see if
                              > I missed the reference to a hybrid group named Dam. I agree that
                              > the article raises more questions than it answers.
                              >
                              > Bill
                              >
                              > Tom Schuetz wrote:
                              >>

                              >> Bill, yes the site article seems to be about Ilam azaleas, but
                              >> seems confused and I do not know how much to take seriously.
                              >>
                              >> Among other things the article says: "A recital of the virtues of
                              >> these stunning shrubs must include two more features: all are
                              >> deliciously fragrant in blossom, an inheritance from the native
                              >> swamp azalea; and most of them are self sterile so that faded
                              >> blossoms need not be picked from the plants to prevent the
                              >> formation of seeds which normally inhibit bloom for the next
                              >> season. All who grow Ghent azaleas are aware that they bloom
                              >> really well only every second year, unless the dead blossoms are
                              >> plucked from the plants. When the Ilam azaleas become commercially
                              >> available this laborious task will be at an end. Self sterility
                              >> was bred into the plants at the same time that size, wide color
                              >> range, fragrance, heavy texture and the intriguing blossom form
                              >> were blended into one master strain."
                              >>
                              >> true or not?
                              >>
                              >> also "This description of the Dam azaleas is a preview of a rare
                              >> and important event in horticulture. The best plants have not yet
                              >> been named or propagated as clones for commercial distribution in
                              >> America. That will be the next step after the several hundred
                              >> plants now in this country have been tested and evaluated. But
                              >> remember the name, because the Dam azaleas are destined to be
                              >> horticultural sensations when they are placed on the market."
                              >>
                              >> never heard of the Dam azaleas. Is this a spoof or what?
                              >>
                              >> Also whatever happened to the Ilams. Have not heard much in a long
                              >> time.
                              >>
                              >> Tom Schuetz
                              >> schuetz101@...
                              >> Mechanicsburg, PA USDA Zone 6a

                            • Larry Wallace
                              Message 15 of 15 , Feb 2, 2011
                                I am going to try Ilams from Girard on Lake Erie.

                                Had a noisy windstorm without the predicted ice.

                                --
                                Larry Wallace
                                Cincinnati