Petal Blight

  • Ed Collins
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 19 5:55 AM
      Hi Bill,
      Last year Vivian Abney (East Fork Nursery) told me about a new product that
      eliminated petal blight.
      It is called PCNB and is a granular product that is broadcast under the
      plants early in the year before petal blight gets started. It is available
      here in Hendersonville at a nursery supply company for approximately $50 for
      a 50# bag.

      Wish you luck,
      Ed Collins
      Hendersonville NC
    • hankus1us
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19 9:25 AM
        I saw the note on PCNB--if you go to Google and plug in "petal blight
        and PCNB" , you will get a very large
        number of hits--going further you will see that PCNB is a material
        that is at least 25 years old, so it is
        not necessarily new. It is also known as Terraclor or Defend. Am I
        missing something here?? Do they perhaps
        have a new form of it that has demonstrated newfound control of
        petal blight?? Has its petal blight
        control efficacy perhaps been overlooked or underrated for the past 25
        years?? PCNB is mentioned as a
        control for petal blight, but I am not aware of any unusual
        efficacious claims for it. Since I have only
        superficial knowledge of the material, perhaps others on this list
        could make some comments about their
        experience with this material.
        Hank Schannen--Rarefind Nursery
      • William F. Bode
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 20 7:30 AM
          Hi Y'all:

          I would like to share this info about petal blight from my friends at
          LSU Ag Ctr.

          Bill Bode
        • john f smith
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
            I have some evergreen azaleas in 3 gallon pots that I will be giving a friend next spring.  Some of these had petal blight this past spring.  If I remove all spent flowers, blow out any loose material on the soil surface and treat the soil with terraclor 400 in January does anyone have an opinion on how likely it is that some of the ovulinia fungus will survive and therefore get started in a yard where there is none now?

            John Smith
            Stuart, VA  zone 7A