inheritance of flowers with white centers or coloured margins

  • prometheus4096
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2011
      Does anyone know if such a flower should be considered white or coloured when it comes to passing on genes?
      I can't figure out exactly what is not possible when crossing with these flowers. Can I expect them to also have offspring that are both solid white and solid coloured?

      Only case I can find is that 'Shinnyo no tsuki' having pure white as offspring. ('Everest', 'Saint Moritz')
      Will every bicolour flower give white flowers when crossed with another pure white flower? What about crossing them with other flowers that are heterozygous for white or other bicoloured flowers?

      'Shinnyo no Tsuki' has whites, coloured and bicolours as offspring. I want to create a white flower using maybe 'Maraget Douglas' and 'Frosted Orange'. Maybe even cross these two and toss all the bicolours and non-whites. This way I can breed out all the purple genes while having a lot of white genes.

      To be clear, in the end I do want bicoloured plants. I just don't want plants with flowers that are all the same pattern bicolour. So whatever genes control these patterns, in the end I want them to mutate on in only a few others.
      So the first generation will be about setting up good parents for the second generation.

      Happy new year everyone,

      Mark