Azaleas and Boxwoods Still at Risk

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2010
      Greetings All,

      It has been an eventful couple of days. Just since the 1st of Dec., there have been many calls, e-mails, and articles about the situation at the National Arboretum. A new director has been appointed, and that is significant. I have nothing against Dr. Colien Hefferan. I hope we can establish a good relationship and work together to realize the full potential of the National Arboretum.

      It is important to note that she was appointed to this position, and that her background is in Economics, not Horticulture. By making this move the powers that be are in effect making Scott more powerful, not less powerful as Dr. Hefferan will be deferring all the day to day management decisions to Scott. I have heard ths from more than one person at the USDA.

      In effect we are now looking at Scott as the defacto (director) of the U.S. National Arboretum.

      This is a bad turn of events for all those who want to save the Azaleas. I have been offered a deal, which I declined. I was sent an e-mail that in affect said if I would go along with the decision to remove the boxwoods they would postpone any decision on the Azaleas. I told them in no uncertain terms. NO.

      We need to keep the pressure on Scott until this is resolved. Keep calling, keep posting, keep persueing every avenue available. DO NOT QUIT and DO NOT GIVE UP. Scott has said publically that he believes this will all blow over and then thay can quietly do whatever they want. In our last conversation I told him point blank that I would never let him avoid the negative publicity that his decision would generate. I also told him I would take before and after pictures to post if he did achieve his objective of removing the Azaleas.

      He said I was trying to paint him and the Arboretum in a bad light. I replied that his decision had already beat me to it, and that he was only half right. It was his decision and he needs to accept that fact.

      My Kindest Regards To All

      Aaron