Seed Exchange

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 6, 2010
      Greetings All,

      somehow I missed Mike's post. Yes you can send seed to my address for the seed exchange.

      Aaron Cook
      804 Piedmont Ave.
      Valdese, NC 28690
    • sjperk5
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 22 3:39 PM
        For those of you looking for deciduous azalea seed we donated seed for 40 (maybe more) or so deciduous azalea crosses to the Azalea Society for this years seed exchange. These crosses are mostly diploid X diploid or tetraploid X tetraploid crosses.

        In general this seed should be very viable seed where both parents have proven to be good plants for us. In previous years we have donated seed from mixed ploidy crosses but this year we have concentrated on sending seed from crosses where both parents are the same ploidy producing seed that should have a very high germination rate.

        One of our goals in 2010 was to validate that for deciduous azaleas diploid X diploid and tetraploid X tetraploid crosses almost always take. This proved true for all parents that normally produce seed.

        We did several crosses involving late blooming diploids.

        John Perkins
        Salem, NH
      • Larry Wallace
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 22 4:03 PM
          On the seed exchange page, when I click on Aaron Cook, I get a blank page.

          --
          Larry Wallace
          Cincinnati
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 22 5:56 PM

            Right click and copy email address, might work. Its just a link to his email.

            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 22 6:11 PM
              Diploids that wre produced using molle and our native diploids tend to be very reluctant to produce seed.

              On the other hand we have some evidence to suggest that molle, a diploid, crossed with our native tetraploids sometimes produces tetraploids. Tetraploids having the appearance of molle in their background are known. Toucan is an example of such a azalea.

              John Perkins
              Salem, NH

              --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "sjperk5" <sjperk5@...> wrote:

              > For those of you looking for deciduous azalea seed we donated seed for 40 (maybe more) or so deciduous azalea crosses to the Azalea Society for this years seed exchange. These crosses are mostly diploid X diploid or tetraploid X tetraploid crosses.
              >
              > In general this seed should be very viable seed where both parents have proven to be good plants for us. In previous years we have donated seed from mixed ploidy crosses but this year we have concentrated on sending seed from crosses where both parents are the same ploidy producing seed that should have a very high germination rate.
              >
              > One of our goals in 2010 was to validate that for deciduous azaleas diploid X diploid and tetraploid X tetraploid crosses almost always take. This proved true for all parents that normally produce seed.
              >
              > We did several crosses involving late blooming diploids.
              >
              > John Perkins
              > Salem, NH

            • Aaron
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 30 5:34 PM
                Greetings All,

                Sent out 115 packs of seed yesterday. Many seed lots already sold out.

                Aaron
              • Aaron
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 13 11:42 AM

                  Greetings All,

                  Last year I farmed out the seed exchage to another person and apparently many orders were lost and not filled. I apologize for this and accept full responsibility. As of Jan 2012 I have taken back over the seed exchange and will personally fill and ship each order as I did in all preceeding years.  I am very sorry that the 2011 seed exchange was mismanaged.

                  I have just finished compiling the seed list for 2012. The spread sheet will be sent to Bob Stelloh for posting this weekend.  We have a good number of seed lots this year, even though the number of contributors is down.  We have many hand pollinated crosses and a very good selection of deciduous azalea seeds.

                  I look forward to working with the seed exchange program again and provide this sevice to our ASA members. I believe that the price of $2 per pack for 50 seeds is a good deal.

                  Please remember that most of the excess seed is sold at the Annual Convention.

                  This year the convention will be May 4th through the 6th and there will probably be no seed

                  left to sell after the convention.

                  Thanks again to all the seed contributors and Bob Stelloh for setting up and maintaining the seed exchange web site. Bob does a great job of keeping the seed list current and up to date.

                  On a personal note if you are a contributor and see something on the list that you would like to try just drop me an e-mail and I will gladly send you a free pack of seed as a thanks for sending in your seed contributions.

                  Thanks Again

                  Aaron