Re: [AZ] NA problem reaches the Washington Post

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2010
      Characterizing it as a financial problem is completely misleading, as
      Aaron Cook and Don Hyatt have pointed out. The loss of the $100,000
      grant money only removes two gardeners from the Asian Valley, and has
      nothing to do with other areas of the arboretum unless they plan to
      replace them with gardeners from other areas.

      More importantly, renovating and maintaining the azalea hillside on
      Mt Hamilton for the past 15 years or so has cost the arboretum
      nothing, since the work was and is being done by Barbara Bullock's
      team of loyal volunteers.

      On the other hand, it will cost money to remove the azaleas from the
      hillside, and it will also create an ongoing maintenance expense,
      because the volunteers are not going to happily destroy the azaleas
      they have worked so hard and long to maintain, nor are they apt to
      maintain the hillside after those azaleas are destroyed.

      Regards,
      Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7

      On Nov 29, 2010, at 11:03 AM, michael.campbell3@... wrote:

      > Be careful. If targeting the most popular part of the NA is
      > successful at "shaking down" folks, every arboretum will threaten
      > to cut down the popular stuff.

    • bsperling
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2010
        Bob Stelloh wrote:

        >The loss of the $100,000
        > grant money only removes two gardeners from the Asian Valley, and has
        > nothing to do with other areas of the arboretum unless they plan to
        > replace them with gardeners from other areas.

        But we don't know what they would do with a redistribution of their workers.

        > More importantly, renovating and maintaining the azalea hillside on
        > Mt Hamilton for the past 15 years or so has cost the arboretum
        > nothing, since the work was and is being done by Barbara Bullock's
        > team of loyal volunteers.

        Well, I suspect that Barbara doesn't work for drinks and tips ...

        > On the other hand, it will cost money to remove the azaleas from the
        > hillside,

        That's true, and I don't think that much of anything was spent on that
        area (the unnamed cultivars) before Barbara appeared on the scene. It
        seems to me that not spending money destroying the area but letting it
        try to survive on its own would return things to the state that they
        once were, at no expense, and would allow plants to survive for the next
        swing of the pendulum back to sensible funding.

        Barry