Good News?

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 24, 2010
      Greetings All,

      I am not saying we have won the war but I feel the tide is turning. I just got off the phone with Dr. Joe Spence. He assured me that the plan to destroy the Azaleas on Mt. Hamilton would be re-visited and that the Azalea Society and the Rhododendron Society would have a seat at the table to discuss future plans. He assured me that he has informed Dr. Jordan and Scott that they should not move forward on any plans to remove plant material from the Arboretum at this time. He also was very candid in saying he believes Scott overstepped his authority in this instance. At this point I say let's keep up the pressure and remain hopeful.

      Best Regards

      Aaron
    • Whipple, Andy
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 24, 2010

        Aaron,

        Sounds like a very different song, but is it in writing?

        Thanks for your, and others, efforts, but as you write let’s keep up the pressure while remaining hopeful.

        Andy Whipple

        I am not saying we have won the war but I feel the tide is turning. I just got off the phone with Dr. Joe Spence. He assured me that the plan to destroy the Azaleas on Mt. Hamilton would be re-visited and that the Azalea Society and the Rhododendron Society would have a seat at the table to discuss future plans. He assured me that he has informed Dr. Jordan and Scott that they should not move forward on any plans to remove plant material from the Arboretum at this time. He also was very candid in saying he believes Scott overstepped his authority in this instance. At this point I say let's keep up the pressure and remain hopeful.

        Best Regards

        Aaron

      • Nicholas Yarmoshuk

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2010
            Hi All,
            The front page of the Metro section of today's Washington Post features
            the discussion we've been having. The slant isn't bad considering that
            the writer, specializing in gardening, has shown a surprising disdain
            for azaleas in the past (too many, too garish):

            http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/28/AR2010112803230.html

            Barry
          • Warren Groomes
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 29, 2010
              If every member of the ASA pledged $10, could the grant be matched?

            • michael.campbell3@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 29, 2010
                Be careful.  If targeting the most popular part of the NA is successful at "shaking down" folks, every arboretum will threaten to cut down the popular stuff.
                If every member of the ASA pledged $10, could the grant be matched?

                > To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
                > From: bsperling@...
                > Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:14:14 -0500
                > Subject: [AZ] NA problem reaches the Washington Post
                >
                > Hi All,
                > The front page of the Metro section of today's Washington Post features
                > the discussion we've been having. The slant isn't bad considering that
                > the writer, specializing in gardening, has shown a surprising disdain
                > for azaleas in the past (too many, too garish):
                >
                > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/28/AR2010112803230.html
                >
                > Barry
                >

                > ------------------------------------
                >
                > When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines. And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.
                >
                > We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By attaching them you agree that, without giving up your rights to them, they may be shown on Azalea Society websites.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > <*> Your email settings:
                > Individual Email | Traditional
                >
                > <*> To change settings online go to:
                > (Yahoo! ID required)
                >
                > <*> To change settings via email:
                > azaleas-digest@yahoogroups.com
                > azaleas-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Jim Willhite
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 29, 2010

                  Funny, the author doesn't mention the boatload of taxpayer money ("Stimulus") the Arboretum recently received.  Nor the cost of cutting and removing the plants; nor (assuming the Arb charges admission) the reduction of revenue that will follow removal of one of the Arb's main attractions.

                  Instead, the cost-cutting rationale is accepted at face value. hmmmm

                  jim willhite

                  berwyn, pa

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 29, 2010

                    I take that back, the stimulus is mentioned briefly.  And also a $60 million capital improvement plan that is "on hold."  Wonder whats in that plan for the Mt Hamilton hillside?  Anybody know?

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 29, 2010
                      Characterizing it as a financial problem is completely misleading, as
                      Aaron Cook and Don Hyatt have pointed out. The loss of the $100,000
                      grant money only removes two gardeners from the Asian Valley, and has
                      nothing to do with other areas of the arboretum unless they plan to
                      replace them with gardeners from other areas.

                      More importantly, renovating and maintaining the azalea hillside on
                      Mt Hamilton for the past 15 years or so has cost the arboretum
                      nothing, since the work was and is being done by Barbara Bullock's
                      team of loyal volunteers.

                      On the other hand, it will cost money to remove the azaleas from the
                      hillside, and it will also create an ongoing maintenance expense,
                      because the volunteers are not going to happily destroy the azaleas
                      they have worked so hard and long to maintain, nor are they apt to
                      maintain the hillside after those azaleas are destroyed.

                      Regards,
                      Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7

                      On Nov 29, 2010, at 11:03 AM, michael.campbell3@... wrote:

                      > Be careful. If targeting the most popular part of the NA is
                      > successful at "shaking down" folks, every arboretum will threaten
                      > to cut down the popular stuff.

                    • bsperling
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 29, 2010
                        Bob Stelloh wrote:

                        >The loss of the $100,000
                        > grant money only removes two gardeners from the Asian Valley, and has
                        > nothing to do with other areas of the arboretum unless they plan to
                        > replace them with gardeners from other areas.

                        But we don't know what they would do with a redistribution of their workers.

                        > More importantly, renovating and maintaining the azalea hillside on
                        > Mt Hamilton for the past 15 years or so has cost the arboretum
                        > nothing, since the work was and is being done by Barbara Bullock's
                        > team of loyal volunteers.

                        Well, I suspect that Barbara doesn't work for drinks and tips ...

                        > On the other hand, it will cost money to remove the azaleas from the
                        > hillside,

                        That's true, and I don't think that much of anything was spent on that
                        area (the unnamed cultivars) before Barbara appeared on the scene. It
                        seems to me that not spending money destroying the area but letting it
                        try to survive on its own would return things to the state that they
                        once were, at no expense, and would allow plants to survive for the next
                        swing of the pendulum back to sensible funding.

                        Barry