Nat Arboretum to Remove Morrison Azaleas form Mt. Hamilton

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2010
      Greetings All,
      The rumors are true. I just got off the phone with Scott Aker, the Unit Garden Leader for the National Arboretum. Beginning in the summer of 2011 a large number of azaleas on the Mt. Hamilton hillside will be cut down and the stumps treated with herbicide.
      This group of azaleas are selections of Glenn Dale hybrids made in 1939 and propagated by Ben Morrison for further study and selection. They were planted on the southern flank of Mt. Hamilton in organized groupings of between 3 and 20 plants sometime about 1946-47. No one knows the true number planted, but the estimate is somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000. Each group was labeled with a Bell-Number (which was the number assigned to all clones before they were officially selected and Introduced, and it traced back to the actual crosses, or parents of each of the groups.
      Barbara Bullock became the Azalea curator in 1990 with the help of volunteers began to restore the hillside. Many of the Bell numbers were located and a map of their locations was produced. The Bell-numbers roughly correspond to a grex. (offspring of a cross). Scott's point that (not one of the labels was ever found actually attached to any of the azaleas) is probably true but a moot point due to the labels being used to denote a group of offspring from a single cross. There is a map of the rough locations where Bell Numbered labels have been found, and each group of plants associated with the label should correspond to a unique grex.
      Scott estimates that there are less than 1000 plants on a total of 3 acres. Barbara and others including myself would put the estimate to over 5000 plants.
      The hillside is in the best shape it has been in for many years.
      I had many questions that Scott could not answer and he promised to get back to me. I intend to make this a huge PR nightmare for him if he continues to push for plant removal. If you would like to call or email Scott directly to voice your opposition to this lunacy, his phone number is (202) 245-4533 and his e-mail is Scott.Aker@... both of which are part of the public record found on this USDA website.

      http://www.ars.usda.gov/pandp/people/people.htm?personid=66
    • Nicholas Yarmoshuk
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2010
        Aaron
        What logic is being used to justify the destruction of these plants?
        Is this the only reason . . . .  " . . . .  Scott's point that (not one of the labels was ever found actually attached to any of the azaleas) is probably true . . ."

        Nick Yarmoshuk
        St. Catharines Ontario Canada

        On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Aaron <acook@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Ted Stecki
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2010
          This is a big lost of azalea history. The newer folks aren't interested in preserving history. I will send Scot Akers my feelings/concerns.
          Ted Steck ARS Presidenti
          90 Kresson-Gibbsboro Rd
          Voorhees, NJ 08043
          Tel : 856 784 6203