This is from the ASK US page, so please send me a cc.

  • Marlene
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2010
      I live in zone 6, Long Island New York. I inherited a beautiful old azalea bush (purple) when we purchaed the property. It blooms in early Spring, usually in late April, as it did this year. Last week, early October, its bloomed again. How does this happen. Did it think Spring came again? Will I get blooms next Spring?
    • George Klump
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2010

        Dear Marlene,

        Don't worry about your beautiful old azalea bush blooming a second time.  In fact do not say anything to it.  I have several which do this, one of them being a 'Phoenicia' which is a Southern Indica.  It isn't supposed to do this at all, but it does at least twice and, in all candor, pot blooms much of the year.  [The other 'Phoenicia' azaleas do not do this.]  And I have several Rutherforidanas which do this, too, usually the 'Alaska' bushes [white] which spot bloom nearly all year.  I'm not sure that anyone really knows why certain bushes do this, but there are some which are predisposed to this tactic by Nature.  Some of my Satsuki azaleas bloom almost 10 months out of the year and they're beautiful.  So I don't argue with them.

        Unless your azalea bush is sick, and it hardly sounds like it is, you should have plenty of flowers on it next spring.  Just do not prune it now or you will cut off your flowers for next spring.

        George Klump
        Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA