Re: [AZ] Re: R. hyperthrum

  • Ron Rabideau
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
      Hi John,
      I'd heard that Auggie Kehr made tet(poly) maximum and fortunei. I have a
      max from him called 'Summer Joy' that may be poly. How do we get it tested?

      Ron Rabideau

      --
      Ron Rabideau
      Camden, NJ
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
        I don't know about the tetraploid part however most R. hyperthrum can be very heat tolerant and disease resistance.  I have some hyperthrum X's that have survived in my garden (Gulf South) since the mid 90's.

        Buddy

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
          Ron

          Sally and I are looking for interesting samples to send to the research team for testing.

          However, everything has to be filtered through us because 1) that is what we agreed to do and 2) this research team is doing this for free so they wish to have samples that is consistent with their general goals.

          This means the following:

          You contact us by email with a lists of plants you have or can locate and why you think these plants may be of interest. We will then filtered the list, talk to the research team, and then notify you which plants on the list we wish to have mailed to us with instructions on how to mail them to us.

          Note: This team has already agreed to test more samples than we originally agreed on having tested. We are hoping this continues long term but at the moment it is week by week.

          Note: Ron, we are very glad you are interested in providing samples.

          John Perkins
          Salem, NH

          --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Rabideau" <rhodyrex@...> wrote:

          > Hi John,
          > I'd heard that Auggie Kehr made tet(poly) maximum and fortunei. I have a
          > max from him called 'Summer Joy' that may be poly. How do we get it tested?
          >
          > Ron Rabideau
          >
          > On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 21:32:35 -0400, sjperk5 <sjperk5@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Larry
          > >
          > > There are to date no documented elepidote species. There are documented
          > > elepidote hybrids.
          > >
          > > Lepidotes, deciduous, and evergreen azaleas contain tetraploid species.
          > >
          > > John.
          > >
          > > --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Larry Wallace <UUallace@> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> I have seedlings of R. hyperthrum (tetraploid ?) from the seed exchange.
          > >> There is not very much I can find about this species. Any comments ?
          > >>

          > >> --
          > >> Larry Wallace
          > >> Cincinnati
          > >>

          > --
          > Ron Rabideau
          > Camden, NJ
          > Zone 6b-7a

        • Mark Wright
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010

            I have quite a few hyperythrum species and hybrids (mostly Thornton and one of my hyperythrum x ponticum crosses). As Buddy says they are very heat tolerant in this climate. One thing I’ve noticed is the species seems to decline while hybrids do much better.

            Mark Wright

            Tallahassee, FL

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
              Ron
              On the Rhodo Group it was decided that "lab tested" only meant that it had approximately the right amount of DNA.  Man made tetraploids have 52 +/- 5 chromosomes.  What we need are chromosome counts.

              --
              Larry Wallace
              Cincinnati