Dividing Azaelas

  • Anthony Alessi
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
      What is the best way to divide an azalea?  Should I just dig it up and saw in half? Help.
      Pat

    • Nicholas Yarmoshuk
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
        This is a new one for me.
        I have never, in my limited number of contacts, ever heard of dividing a woody shrub.
        Usually we propagate azaleas by seed, by air layering, or by layering a branch on the soil and by taking stem cuttings.  Of course there is also tissue culture.
        Of course I have divided perennials and some bulbs.
        I wonder what others have to say about this.
        Nick Yarmoshuk
        St Catharines Ontario Canada
        http://www.rhodoniagara.org

        On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Anthony Alessi <tonypat7@...> wrote:

        What is the best way to divide an azalea?  Should I just dig it up and saw in half? Help.
        Pat

      • Bruce Clyburn
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
          Nick:

          Division is an option with the stoloniferous species (R. atlanticum); it's most effect after a 'cut-back'. I think you pretty well covered all the common methods; I would add root cuttings and grafting to your list.

          Bruce Clyburn
          New Waterford, NS
          zone 6a

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
              Nick:

              This is interesting. When I spoke of division being acceptable for any stoloniferous azalea I was speaking from Fred Galle's book and from memory. I haven't employed this method personally. When I went back to check the details of 'how to' I notice he says any multiple stemmed plant can be divided also! So there you go; if the plant has more than one stem it's a candidate for dividing. Instructions are in the attachment.

              Bruce

            • michael.campbell3@comcast.net

                Message 8 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010

                  Nick,

                  Oops, remember the “species” versus “specie” discussion? (Which has nothing to do with dividing a plant!)

                  Harold

                  Message 9 of 10 , Oct 2, 2010
                    Harold
                    Yes I remember the discussion but not the final conclusion.  Species it is.
                    Nick

                    Message 10 of 10 , Oct 2, 2010
                      Thank you Bruce.
                      I have read Fred Galle but never remembered that item.
                      Nick

                      [Attachment(s) from Bruce Clyburn included below]