Azalea bloom times

  • ROBERT L BARTA
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27 3:12 PM
      This is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC.

      My husband and I want to plan a trip to Virginia (Charlottsville) next Spring and would like to time it when the Azaleas are in bloom, especially along the Blue Ridge Skyline Drive. When we were there in the fall a couple of years ago we noticed many Azalea plants along the way and assume it must be beautiful in the Spring. If anyone can give us some helpful info regarding planning our trip, it would be great. Any information regarding festivals in the area would be nice, as well.  Thanks so much, and if this is not the type of information you can forward, perhaps you could tell me the best place to contact.    Mary Barta
    • evelyn or david purdy
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27 8:49 PM
        Actually, the big thing on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Charlottesvile is not azaleas, but a close relative, rhododendrons, specifically rhododendron catawbiense. They are truly spectacular in early June. Azaleas in the narrow sense are found domesticated around residences in the Charlottesville area, at their peak in May.

        For the purists in this group, yes, native azaleas are found in the woods near the Blue Ridge Parkway, but they are not as spectacular as rhododendron catawbiense. They are more likely to be found as scattered plants.

        Regards, David Purdy now in Omaha NE zone 5
      • SJPERK5
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29 3:44 AM

          Springtime on the Blue Ridge is awesome for not just the deciduous azaleas that bloom in early to mid May along the edges of the woods which is the Parkway. They are scattered along the roadside and then you will find areas that are more dense. Spectacular views, lovely new growth, spring ephemeral wildflowers are worth it alone. You will have to stop along the way and explore close up to appreciate them. Check out the Blue Ridge parkway websites of which there are many besides the National park. http://www.nps.gov/blri/   http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

          Lots of people just go for the flowers…check out the bloom times online.

          Your access from Charlottsville is at the northern end of the Blue Ridge and if you go south the change in elevation, ecosystems and historical landmarks will be sure to entertain you. The crowds are not there in May and if you are not on the weekend you will have a more leisurely drive.

          Sally Perkins, Salem , NH