[AZ] Re: New to azalea hybridization

  • prometheus4096
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 10 1:33 AM
      The Callanham book I mentioned says that most sports are mutations in that particular tissue. If I understand it correctly this is because it only takes on mutation to turn colour on and that this mutation occurs easily. But if the mutations are absent in the seeds/pollen and the seedlings will still produce white flowers alongside the sports that need to be freshly mutated in that seedling?

      I guess the mutation occurs mostly on only 1 chromosome so the tissue is Ww and when combined with genes from white-flowered tissue it is 50/50. But if both flowers have heavy sports it ought to be 25%. And then tissue can mutate twice and be WW? Then you have zero change to still get white flowers unless it mutates back to white again.

      Anyway, it still must matter what flower you use for pollen/seed. Otherwise, the sexual organs must somehow draw unmutated DNA from the stem or roots or they have to correct the mutation. Right?
      But if mutations only occur in the petal tissue itself then cutting propagation will most likely not carry that mutation. Seems to be a complex issue with many different answers to different questions.

      This Aikoku flower is one of the most impressive looking flowers I have seen.
      http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort/landscape/images/WAikoko.jpg

      I would be really interested in seed or pollen from Aikoku if that image is correct and it has indeed the potential to produce such flowers, alongside white ones.

      I can buy a Kozan. But it seems it is the purely R.indicum cultivar named 'Kozan' and not the Satsuki with the same name. If it is indeed the same I will just buy the Kozan I can buy and not request genetic material.

      Right now I am interested in any genetic material from satsuki I can get that has normal single flowers and that aren't solid red or purple or the good potential to produce seedlings that have that characteristic.
      But of course for pollen we will have to wait for spring for that.
    • prometheus4096
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 12 3:28 AM
        I ordered two more plants. 'Olga Niblett' and R.indicum 'Kozan'.
        Olga Niblett shares no parents with 'Hilda Niblett' and is 31.25% 'R.kaempferi', 25% Satsuki, 25% unknown
        12.5% R.yedoense var. poukhanense, 3.125% R.kiusianum var Kiusianum, 3.125% R.simsii.
        Kozan must almost be the satsuki Kozan though it might be a pure indicum clone.