Re: potting azaleas outdoors

  • Yulin Fang
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2010
      Correction: I meant gopher. Not golfer. I corrected them. Thanks.

      On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Yulin Fang <yulinfang1@...> wrote:
       [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
      Hi,  I live in Northern California, close to SF. In my back yard, along the walk way, there are12-15 feet area, where do not get morning sun or afternoon sun, but it get couple hours of noon sun. It also has gopher going through the soil from time to time.

      I like to plant several different colors of azaleas along the side of walkway. I think it would be gorgeous when the plants are mature and in full bloom.

      I have two options, assuming the 2 hours noon sun is considered part shade:

      1. I could plant them directly in the ground and try to catch the gopher while the plants are young. And hope after the plant matures, the gopher won't go at them. Will gopher eat its roots even when the plants are very old and roots are very thick?

      2. I could plant them in  large pots (17"?, 20"? diameter, the height is usually 15"). I know in the planters, they won't be eaten by gophers. But I don't know how long can the azaleas survived in the said planters until they are too big and have to be removed from planters. I don't want to buy those huge commercial and very expensive planters. For the area I  have, 20" in diameter is about all I can handle. So, will azaleas live the the 20" diameter planters and lived happily ever after in there?

      Thank you very much.

      yulin fang

    • Larry Wallace
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2010
        I haven't had luck with Rhododendrons, even tropical ones, in pots.  The roots are sensitive to heat.  If the container is large enough fro the roots to grow and you have plenty of holes in the bottom, You can put the containers in the ground.  I have one in a pot sunk into my sewer access hole.

        --
        Larry Wallace
        Cincinnati