Re: [AZ] Don Voss /ARS Award

  • John Migas
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13, 2010
      Jim,

      I also can not open the attachments.
      John Migas

      --- On Fri, 8/13/10, bsperling <bsperling@...> wrote:

      From: bsperling <bsperling@...>
      Subject: Re: [AZ] Don Voss /ARS Award
      To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, August 13, 2010, 3:05 PM

      I couldn't get the attachment to open. Any suggestions?
      Barry

      JO Thornton wrote:

      > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from JO Thornton included below]
      >
      > I was not aware of this and thought others might be interested,
      > Congratulations ,Don !
      > Jim
      > Jim Thornton
      > Conyers, Ga.
      > Support the ASA & ARF
      >

      > Attachment(s) from JO Thornton
      >
      > 1 of 1 File(s)
      >
      > Arboretum Volunteer Receives Prestigious Award.htm.lnk
      > <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/11205563/427677728/name/Arboretum%20Volunteer%20Receives%20Prestigious%20Award%2Ehtm%2Elnk>
      > Reply to sender <mailto:jimpatsy@...?subject=Don Voss /ARS
      > Award> | Reply to group <mailto:azaleas@yahoogroups.com?subject=Don Voss
      > /ARS Award> | Reply via web post

    • Donald Hyatt
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 2010

        Hi All,
        Although I cannot open that link either, I suspect Jim was referring to the opening page of the U.S. National Arboretum website,  Don Voss was awarded the Gold Medal from the American Rhododendron Society:

        Don was unable to attend the ARS Convention in New York in May where the Award was announced, but we made the official presentation at a District Meeting 9 of the ARS on June 19.  The official citation appears in the Summer Journal of the ARS and is also listed on their website:

        I will paste the citation below:

        Gold Medal Award:  Donald Voss

        For decades you have been a recognized authority on flower color, taxonomy and nomenclatural issues in the genus Rhododendron.  Through your selfless volunteer efforts and willingness to share your specialized knowledge, you have benefited botanists and horticulturalists worldwide, which will have an impact for years to come.

        You are a prolific author who has written for the ARS Journal and many other prestigious publications.  Your meticulous attention to detail, keen intellect and analytical skills have been appreciated in many ways, as District Director, technical reviewer, curator of herbarium specimens and advisor for many plant registrations.  For these and many other lasting contributions you have made to the Society's goals, the American Rhododendron Society is pleased to present the Gold Medal to Donald H Voss.

        I worked with Carol Segree and Bob McWhorter on the medal nomination.  We knew Don was good, but had no idea HOW GOOD until we started getting letters of recommendation from so many horticultural leaders from around the world. For instance, I knew Don volunteered at the National Arboretum, but didn't realize he had put in over 6,500 volunteer hours mostly in the herbarium collection which is one of the larger collections in the US.  He corrected errors on perhaps as many as 30% of the type specimens in that facility.  He also served as Interim Director of the herbarium for well over a year when the other director passed away.  He co-authored books and of course wrote many articles for the Azalean.  John and Sally Perkins sent a note of thanks about Don's assistance in preparing their recent article in the Azalean.  Having severed on the editorial committee for both ARS and ASA fo many years, Don has made sure our publications are technically correct.  I could go on and on.

        Yes, Don is a phenomenal man... absolutely brilliant and has done so much behind the scenes in scientific areas relating to the genus Rhododendron and specifically in our group's area of interest, azaleas. The award was so well deserved!  Congratulations, Don!

        Don Hyatt
        McLean, VA

        JO Thornton wrote:

        > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from JO Thornton included below]
        >
        > I was not aware of this and thought others might be interested,
        > Congratulations ,Don !
        > Jim
        > Jim Thornton
        > Conyers, Ga.
        > Support the ASA & ARF
        >

        > Attachment(s) from JO Thornton
        >
        > 1 of 1 File(s)
        >
        > Arboretum Volunteer Receives Prestigious Award.htm.lnk
        > <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/11205563/427677728/name/Arboretum%20Volunteer%20Receives%20Prestigious%20Award%2Ehtm%2Elnk>
        > Reply to sender <mailto:jimpatsy@...?subject=Don Voss /ARS
        > Award> | Reply to group <mailto:azaleas@yahoogroups.com?subject=Don Voss
        > /ARS Award> | Reply via web post

      • Donald Hyatt
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 13, 2010

          Just got my own email back full of typos.  I should have run it by Don Voss before sending it. ;-)  For instance, I should put a period after website in the first sentence rather than the comma.  I meant to say "served on the editorial committee" rather than "severed."  Don catches all those errors in our submissions to the Azalean and many more.  Thanks be to Don V.

          Don Hyatt