Re: [AZ] Rhododendron prunifolium 'C. D. Coleman'

  • Jim Willhite
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010
      Jamie told me that Mr. Koone was the source for their SD Coleman. Is
      that the same plant as Earl's? I think there was some discussion on
      this group a while back that it may not be, but Earl would know.
      Jim Willhite
      Berwyn, PA

      On Friday, July 30, 2010, at 10:29 PM, William C. Miller III wrote:

      > Earl,
      >
      > Bottom line:  I interpret your response to say that the image that I
      > provided.... is NOT 'S. D. Coleman'.  This is the clarification that
      > I'm looking for.
      >
      > The only image that I could find was at the Meadowbrook Nursery Web
      > site:
      >
      > http://206.130.121.42/listing.php?table=zone&tid=8&page=42
      >
      > To me, the Meadowbrook image and the image that you posted look the
      > same ....and they are much redder than the image I posted.
      >
      > Bill
      >
      > Harold Greer wrote:
      >

      > Earl, please clarify.  If they were both rooted from the same mother
      > plant, they would be the same cultivar.  Isn’t that correct?
      >

      > Harold Greer

      <image.tiff>

      Jim Willhite
      West Chester, PA
    • Earl Sommerville
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010

        Jim,

        The plant that I have came from Mr. Coleman back in the sixties, I made the statement that the cover of the ARS Journal had my photo of the S.D.Coleman on it; that should have been ASA Journal.

        In all of the years that have pass I never have came across David Leach plant of S.D.Coleman, It could be in his Garden up in Ohio.

        Earl

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010
        • 1 Attachment
        • 126 KB
        Earl,

        The image that I posted was of a coral flower.  My impression from looking at the available images which included your image --- and reading the description in the IRRC ("vivid reddish orange") is that the coral flower cannot be 'S. D. Coleman'.

        Do you agree that the coral flower, that I am posting here again, is NOT the cultivar 'S. D. Coleman'?

        Bill

        Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010

          Bill,

          That is not S.D.Coleman, That is not a Prunifolium that came from the wild it is cross with something from someone garden.

          Earl