Azalea History

  • Whiteslib@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 13 10:37 AM
      To anyone that can answer the question;

      Has anyone written a definitive book, periodical or anything, about the history of azaleas.  I have Galle, and quite a few other publications on azaleas, but nothing that really explains were certain  species may have originated from.  Maybe Galle is the best???   Thanks,

      Don White
      Watsonville, CA

    • Bruce Clyburn
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 13 12:27 PM
        Don:

        Fred Galle's book contains much information on hybrids and hybrid
        groupings besides azalea species. Other books on species and their
        origin include:

        1) Rhododendron Species - H.H. Davidian Volume IV - Azaleas
        2) The Encyclopedia of Rhododendron Species - Peter and Ken Cox
        3) If you wish to include periodicals The Azalean - The Journal of the
        Azalea Society of America is recommended. Also the Journal of the
        American Rhododendron Society.

        Bruce Clyburn
        New Waterford, NS

        Whiteslib@... wrote:

        > To anyone that can answer the question;
        > Has anyone written a definitive book, periodical or anything, about
        > the history of azaleas. I have Galle, and quite a few other
        > publications on azaleas, but nothing that really explains were certain
        > species may have originated from. Maybe Galle is the best??? Thanks,
        > Don White
        > Watsonville, CA

      • Harold Greer
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 13 2:39 PM

          Don,

          If you are talking about native species, in other words Rhododendron species that we commonly call azaleas, look in a rhododendron species book.  Most of them give the location where these species grow wild.  Cox’s The Encylopedia of Rhododendron Species has detailed information about the location of native species.  Even my Guidebook to Available Rhododendrons tells the native locations of Rhododendron species.

          If you are talking about where different hybrid groups come from, that is another story, and Galle does quite well there except for the fact that it does not include the newest plants since the book is 25 years old.

          Harold Greer

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 13 2:53 PM
            Don:

            I should add there are some fine 'work-in-progress' websites that are
            dedicated to listing and displaying photos of azalea hybrids and species
            selections:
            Here's a fine example:
            http://www.hirsutum.info/rhododendron/azaleas/index.php

            BC

            Bruce Clyburn wrote:
            > Don:
            >
            > Fred Galle's book contains much information on hybrids and hybrid
            > groupings besides azalea species. Other books on species and their
            > origin include:
            >
            > 1) Rhododendron Species - H.H. Davidian Volume IV - Azaleas
            > 2) The Encyclopedia of Rhododendron Species - Peter and Ken Cox
            > 3) If you wish to include periodicals The Azalean - The Journal of the
            > Azalea Society of America is recommended. Also the Journal of the
            > American Rhododendron Society.
            >
            > Bruce Clyburn
            > New Waterford, NS
            >

            > Whiteslib@... wrote:
            >>
            >> To anyone that can answer the question;
            >> Has anyone written a definitive book, periodical or anything, about
            >> the history of azaleas. I have Galle, and quite a few other
            >> publications on azaleas, but nothing that really explains were
            >> certain species may have originated from. Maybe Galle is the best???
            >> Thanks,
            >> Don White
            >> Watsonville, CA

          • Warren Groomes
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 13 6:04 PM
              My husband and I have a copy of Frederic P. Lee's book, The Azalea Book, published originaly 1958.  I believe he lived in Takoma Park Maryland and charged an admission fee to see his Azaleas.  The book was published by the American Horticultural Society.  He mentions an original Azalea book published in 1952.  I apparently bought the book but I can't remember where.  The book contains many photos and lists.  Judy Groomes,founding member

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 13 6:19 PM
                Judy,

                F. P. Lee lived in Bethesda.  There is a color picture of his garden opposite the title page in the first edition of "The Azalea Book".  I don't believe he charged an admission fee for folks to see his azaleas.  He was a very private person, and that would have been out of character.

                The 1952 book is "The Azalea Handbook."  It was only 160 pages and was produced for the American Horticultural Society --- essentially a first effort by the same group that developed "The Azalea Book" in 1958.

                Bill

              • Tadeusz Dauksza
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 13 7:46 PM
                  Don;

                   I would start with A monograph of Azaleas by Ernest W    ilson and Alfred Rehder in 1921 which was publication of the Arnold Arboreteum,  this book contains the History  that you are seeking with numerous references of original plantsman, document references which were in Latin , etc

                   or

                  Rhododendrons and AZaleas , thier origin , cultivation and development   by Clement Gray Bowers 1936

                   both sources were than utilized by the following

                   azalea Greats for thier books ;

                   Ben Morrison,Frederic P.Lee, then Galle.

                  Tadeusz-Illinois-- member of the Lake Michigan Chapter of ASA.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 13 8:01 PM
                    Well, I am old.  We heard so many stories back then.  The person who charged admission may have been a neighbor of ben Morrison who lived on Piney Branch Road near the district line.  My copy of Lee's book is the second edition, 1978 if anyone is interested.  I used to have a white azalea named Takoma Park.  Unfortuneatly  most of the azaleas we had were destroyed when we sold our house.  Judy

                    To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
                    From: bill@...
                    Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 21:19:50 -0400
                    Subject: Re: [AZ] Azalea History

                    Warren Groomes wrote:

                    My husband and I have a copy of Frederic P. Lee's book, The Azalea Book, published originaly 1958.  I believe he lived in Takoma Park Maryland and charged an admission fee to see his Azaleas.  The book was published by the American Horticultural Society.  He mentions an original Azalea book published in 1952.  I apparently bought the book but I can't remember where.  The book contains many photos and lists.  Judy Groomes,founding member
                    > To: azaleas@yahoogroups .com
                    > From: bclyburn@ns. sympatico. ca
                    > Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:53:02 -0300
                    > Subject: Re: [AZ] Azalea History
                    >
                    > Don:
                    >
                    > I should add there are some fine 'work-in-progress' websites that are
                    > dedicated to listing and displaying photos of azalea hybrids and species
                    > selections:
                    > Here's a fine example:
                    > http://www.hirsutum .info/rhododendr on/azaleas/ index.php
                    >
                    > BC
                    >

                    > Bruce Clyburn wrote:
                    > > Don:
                    > >
                    > > Fred Galle's book contains much information on hybrids and hybrid
                    > > groupings besides azalea species. Other books on species and their
                    > > origin include:
                    > >
                    > > 1) Rhododendron Species - H.H. Davidian Volume IV - Azaleas
                    > > 2) The Encyclopedia of Rhododendron Species - Peter and Ken Cox
                    > > 3) If you wish to include periodicals The Azalean - The Journal of the
                    > > Azalea Society of America is recommended. Also the Journal of the
                    > > American Rhododendron Society.
                    > >
                    > > Bruce Clyburn
                    > > New Waterford, NS
                    > >

                    > > Whiteslib@aol. com wrote:
                    > >>
                    > >> To anyone that can answer the question;
                    > >> Has anyone written a definitive book, periodical or anything, about
                    > >> the history of azaleas. I have Galle, and quite a few other
                    > >> publication s on azaleas, but nothing that really explains were
                    > >> certain species may have originated from. Maybe Galle is the best???
                    > >> Thanks,
                    > >> Don White
                    > >> Watsonville, CA
                    > >>

                    > ------------ --------- --------- ------
                    >
                    > When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines. And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.
                    >
                    > We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By attaching them you agree that, without giving up your rights to them, they may be shown on Azalea Society websites.

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/azaleas/
                    >
                    > <*> Your email settings:
                    > Individual Email | Traditional
                    >
                    > <*> To change settings online go to:
                    > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/azaleas/ join
                    > (Yahoo! ID required)
                    >
                    > <*> To change settings via email:
                    > azaleas-digest@ yahoogroups. com
                    > azaleas-fullfeature d@yahoogroups. com

                    > http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

                  • John Migas
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 13 8:06 PM
                      Hello Don White,

                      I have a book "Azaleas: Kinds and Culture" by H. Harold Hume published in 1948.
                      Chapter 1 starts out with the origin of azaleas, both the eastern Asian and the eastern
                      North American influence.

                      It covers everything you need to know from native and evergreen azaleas, propagating to diseases, culture and care. It even has some color photos. It's a great book from 1948.

                      or try to google "Azaleas, Kinds and Culture", it should pop it.

                      Goof Luck........John Migas(Michigan)

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 13 9:12 PM
                        hELLO Don in California;

                        I forgot to mention that I do have that Monograph book , but you can also access that monograph---   just click on the link that I made;

                        Tadeusz-Illinois- member of Lake Michigan Chapter of Azalea Society of America.

                        enjoy it.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 14 8:23 AM
                          Ialso have 2 copies of this book, one copywrited in 1948 and the other in 1949.  The 1948 volume was originally owned by Frederick L. Pratt, a friend of Hume.  Judy Groomes

                          To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 14 12:54 PM
                            Thank you, Judy,

                            I have been attempting to obtain something on the history of azaleas, where they originated, who found them, and etc., and I got quite a bit of response...Maybe more than I can chew??  But, thank you for responding to my question.

                            Don White
                             Watsonville, CA

                          • Warren Groomes
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 14 1:16 PM
                              The Lee book contains a multitude of information.  Some of it is definetly out of date but a wealth of information exists in the lists it contains.

                              To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 15 7:38 AM
                                Probably the classic reference on the history of Azalea species is Davidian's "The Rhododendron Species: Azaleas Vol. 4." It gives detailed histories of the discovery, taxonomy, and native range of 104 species azaleas.

                                It is available from several sources:

                                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0881923117/henningsrhododen

                                Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

                                http://rhodyman.net/rasite.html

                                http://rhodyman.net/rabooks.html

                                --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Warren Groomes <wgroomes@...> wrote:

                                > The Lee book contains a multitude of information. Some of it is definetly out of date but a wealth of information exists in the lists it contains.
                                >

                                > To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
                                > From: Whiteslib@...
                                > Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:54:57 -0400
                                > Subject: Re: [AZ] Azalea History
                                >

                                > Thank you, Judy,
                                >
                                > I have been attempting to obtain something on the history of azaleas, where they originated, who found them, and etc., and I got quite a bit of response...Maybe more than I can chew?? But, thank you for responding to my question.
                                >
                                > Don White
                                > Watsonville, CA

                              • bsperling
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 19 1:55 PM
                                  Coming late to the party as I've been on vacation for the last week:
                                  In the Spring 2003 Azalean (Vol. 25, #1) on pp. 10-11 I published
                                  a graph of the lineage of some plants I had in my garden as of a couple
                                  of years earlier. You might find it interesting and a unique feature is
                                  that the lineage was updated from that of Galle by Don Voss and so
                                  reflects a more modern understanding.
                                  Barry