Carrie Amanda schroeder (satsuki)

  • Barbara_Kreuter@vaed.uscourts.gov
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2010

      This is from the ASK US page, so please send me a cc.

      I live in Richmond, Virginia, in zone 7.  when I moved to our home there was an azalea that i grew to love dearly and have now lost.  we've been in our home for more than 20 years now.  it had a small white bloom with a light pink at the edge of the blossom and, whenever I talked to azalea lovers, they thought it might have been an old variety called "apple blossom."  I haven't been able to find anything close to it.  I prefer the smaller blossoms that it had to the big ones we have today.  It really did look like apple blossoms.

      I talked to a master gardener who runs a great nursery in my area, and she suggested it might have been a Carrie Amanda azalea and said it had an unusual bloom.  Can anyone furnish me with a picture of this azalea?  I'm in the market to buy some.
    • Jim Willhite
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2010
        Barbara,

        Here is a link to an image of the Kurume azalea, Appleblossom
        http://www.pbase.com/image/36267028
        doesn't look exactly like you are describing, but the name fits

        Here is a link to an image of Carrie Amanda.
        http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/image/56704966
        a terrific azalea, but larger flowers and later blooming

        Based on the description you provided of the azalea you are looking
        for, take a look also at the images of these early Kurume-type (small
        flowers) azaleas:

        Delicatissimum:
        http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/image/69315562

        Ruth May:
        http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/image/69309279
        a personal favorite

        Linda Stuart:
        http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/image/98550096
        popular in this area, SE PA, Del and NJ.

        Linda Stuart and Carrie Amanda can be found at specialty mail order
        places. For the other two, you'd have to get involved with an azalea
        group to find them. If you like azaleas, like we do, $25/yr to the
        Azalea Society of America is a good investment.

        Good luck.
        Jim Willhite
        West Chester, PA