No Nakahare azaleas in south

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010
      I have yet to find a cultivar of R. nakaharae in Sourth, neiher in garden or nursery?  I know that these azaleas bloom in summer during some of the worst heat here.  Is heat the thing keeping these low growers out of southern gardens.  As one of the few flatlanders in the ARS and ASA, I would like to try growing these ground-coverning plants if that is possible.  I know they would have to have much shade protection.
       Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
      Nature is my Greenhouse
      Fall-Line Sandhills region
      Lexington County, South Carolina
    • Yeatts, Steve
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010

        Mike,

        I have grown R.nakaharae successfully for years here in Athens.

        Steve Yeatts

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010
          Mike,

          I have this plant blooming today here in Michigan. Not the best grower for me and it did suffer some snow damage over the last 2 winters.

          Also blooming at this time is bakeri, viscosum, arborescens, some late calendulaceum, some of the late blooming Weston's and R. maximum. Still looks pretty neat around the gardens. I also have some crosses of arborescens x cumberlandense(and vice versa) in bloom. All are seedlings blooming for the first time and they are spectacular. I also have some later blooming "prunifolium" which haven't even begun to swell.

          John Migas(suffering from high humidity)not used to it.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2010
              John

              It would be interesting to see if late diploids take on those late calendulaceums.

              A cross such as

              late calendulaceum X viscosum

              late calendulaceum X arborescens

              would most likely would not set seed

              but the reverse crosses would.

              However if those late calendulaceum are actually cumberlandense the cross would set seed in both directions.

              John