cumberlandense x viscosum x atlanticum

  • sjperk5
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2010
      Bob Stelloh

      Can you tell us more about this plant such as who did the cross and does it produce seed.

      John Perkins
      Salem, NH

      http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/image/98835317
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2010
        Sorry for the delay.

        A friend in the Washington DC area named Lou Aronica gave it to me in
        1991. He probably made the cross. It is not a particularly vigorous
        plant, but it has set seed, and has some seed pods this year --
        which, if I remember, I will put into the aeed exchange.

        Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7

        On May 31, 2010, at 8:56 AM, sjperk5 wrote:

        > Bob Stelloh
        >
        > Can you tell us more about this plant such as who did the cross and
        > does it produce seed.
        >
        > John Perkins
        > Salem, NH
        >
        > http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/image/98835317
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only,
        > as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the
        > Yahoo lines. And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.
        >
        > We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640
        > x 480 pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By
        > attaching them you agree that, without giving up your rights to
        > them, they may be shown on Azalea Society websites.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • sjperk5
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2010
          Bob

          Thanks. One would have expected this to be a sterile triploid but not a teriploids are sterile.

          John Perkins
          Salem, NH

          --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Bob Stelloh <bstelloh@...> wrote:

          > Sorry for the delay.
          >
          > A friend in the Washington DC area named Lou Aronica gave it to me in
          > 1991. He probably made the cross. It is not a particularly vigorous
          > plant, but it has set seed, and has some seed pods this year --
          > which, if I remember, I will put into the aeed exchange.
          >
          > Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7
          >
          > On May 31, 2010, at 8:56 AM, sjperk5 wrote:
          >
          > > Bob Stelloh
          > >
          > > Can you tell us more about this plant such as who did the cross and
          > > does it produce seed.
          > >
          > > John Perkins
          > > Salem, NH
          > >
          > > http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/image/98835317
          > >

          > > ------------------------------------
          > >
          > > When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only,
          > > as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the
          > > Yahoo lines. And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.
          > >
          > > We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640
          > > x 480 pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By
          > > attaching them you agree that, without giving up your rights to
          > > them, they may be shown on Azalea Society websites.

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • sjperk5
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 31, 2010
            Bob

            Would Lou remainder the actual 2 parents?

            Was this (cumberlandense x viscosum) x atlanticum where atlanticum was the seed parent. It looks like it has atlanticum in it.

            John Perkins
            Salem, NH

            --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Bob Stelloh <bstelloh@...> wrote:

            > Sorry for the delay.
            >
            > A friend in the Washington DC area named Lou Aronica gave it to me in
            > 1991. He probably made the cross. It is not a particularly vigorous
            > plant, but it has set seed, and has some seed pods this year --
            > which, if I remember, I will put into the aeed exchange.
            >
            > Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7
            >
            > On May 31, 2010, at 8:56 AM, sjperk5 wrote:
            >
            > > Bob Stelloh
            > >
            > > Can you tell us more about this plant such as who did the cross and
            > > does it produce seed.
            > >
            > > John Perkins
            > > Salem, NH
            > >
            > > http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/image/98835317
            > >

            > > ------------------------------------
            > >
            > > When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only,
            > > as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the
            > > Yahoo lines. And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.
            > >
            > > We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640
            > > x 480 pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By
            > > attaching them you agree that, without giving up your rights to
            > > them, they may be shown on Azalea Society websites.

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • sjperk5
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 31, 2010
              Bob

              I meant to say where atlanticum was the pollen parent.

              John

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1 10:10 AM
                Sorry again. I have no idea of the parentage beyond the three names,
                and I have not been in touch with him for many years. Perhaps Bill
                Miller may know how to contact Lou.

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1 11:56 AM
                  Bob and John,

                  I haven't seen Lou in many years.  I made a phone call to Carol Allen  to see what she knew about Lou, and she hasn't seen him in a long time either.  She offered to check around.  If she gets back to me, I'll post the information.

                  Bill

                • sjperk5
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 1 12:00 PM
                    Bill and Bob