Azalea 'Kermesina Rose'

  • Tadeusz
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2010
      Hello all;

      Anyone growing this cultivar ?? who hybridyzed this?? what are the parents and lastly if you have it does it throw a sport branch ??

      Not listed in Galle;

      thanks

      Tadeusz-Illinois.
    • feraloram
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2010

      I grow them in my terrace in Madrid and is one of my favourites. I bought them to Esveld in Netherlands some years ago.

      Regards,

      Fernando Alonso Ramos

      ábaton - arquitectura y promoción

      C/ ciudad real, 28 - 28223 pozuelo de alarcón

      tel.: 91 3521616  –  fax 91 7158083

      falonso@...www.abaton.es

      Tanto este mensaje como todos los posibles documentos adjuntos al mismo, son confidenciales y están dirigidos exclusivamente a los destinatarios de los mismos. Por favor, si Usted no es uno de dichos destinatarios, notifíquenos este hecho y elimine el mensaje de su sistema. Queda prohibida la copia, difusión o revelación de su contenido a terceros sin el previo consentimiento por escrito de "Haba Tonsurada , S.L.". En caso contrario, vulnerará la legislación vigente

    • Harold Greer
      Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2010

        Yes, we have grown it and it is listed in Galle on page 126 and 180.  See the description from our catalog.  I assume ‘Kermensina Rosea’ is a sport of  ‘Kermensina’.

        40060 ‘Kermesina’ — ( Kurume ) [Mid, -10°F, Low] Much debate surrounds the classification of ‘Kermesina.’ Its foliage shows much of the appearance of an R. kiusianum cultivar, yet it could have some hybrid blood from a Kurume such as ‘Hinode-giri’. Spectacular, ¾" hot fuchsia-violet flowers absolutely cover the plant each spring. Darker throats and long stamens provide further interest. Hardy.

        40061 ‘Kermesina Rosea’ — ( Kurume ) [Mid,-10°F, Low] The same as ‘Kermesina’ in form and flower, but flowers are candy striped and spotted with a darker fuschia pink. White margins complete the picture. It’s nice to have another hardy evergreen azalea.

        Harold Greer

        Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2010
        Hello Harold;

         I was aware of page 126 and 180 which listed 'Kermesina' but no reference to alba or 'Rose' or Rosea .

         The Azalea Society of America web site index of plants has me baffled as to what the true cultivar name was registered and the numerous names that this plant can be called.

         Attached is what I have growing in my garden , Which I believe is the "sport" of the original hot fuschia cultivar called 'Kermesina' --

          this sport which is called 'Kermesina Rose'  has a branch with the original 'Kermesina' fuschia color.

          there is also a 'Kermesina alba' floating around in Europe as well.

        thanks

        Tadeusz.

        Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2010
          Tad,

          The IRRC lists:

          'Kermesinum' - syn. 'Pink Kiusianum' and grown in Boskoop, The Netherlands.
          'Kermesinum Album' - a sport of 'Kermesinum Rose'; named by A. Wemken.
          'Kermesinum Rose' - a sport of 'Kermesinum' (I couldn't conveniently duplicate the accent over the e in Rose); named by A. Wemken.

          They appear in the IRRC but they are not registered.

          Bill

          Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2010

            Hi Tadeusz,

            I wrote that a little too quick this morning and my computer cut off the word “Rose” which I did not see until later.

            I think I probably brought both ‘Kerminsina’ and ‘Kerminsina’ into this country and sold them for some time.  I have always puzzled over the proper naming.  As Bill Miller stated in an email after yours it is listed in the IRRC as ‘Kerminsina Rosé’ which I think was written in English as “Rosea”.

            Message 7 of 7 , Jun 13 10:26 AM
              As a brief tutorial, the ASA index of plant names shows

              'Kermensina' see 'Kermesinum' Kurume evg Greer82
              'Kermesina' see 'Kermesinum' Kiusianum evg Galle85
              'Kermesina' see 'Kermesinum' Kurume evg Galle85
              'Kermesina Rosea' see 'Kermesinum Rose' ? Kurume evg Greer04
              'Kermesinum' ('Kermesina', 'Kermensina', 'Pink Kiusianum') evg IRRC04
              'Kermesinum Album' evg IRRC04
              'Kermesinum Rose' ('Kermesina Rosea') ? evg IRRC04

              What all those names illustrate is:
              -any name followed by "see" is a synonym for the name after the "see"
              -since azaleas became part of the genus Rhododendron, the "a" ending
              is correctly changed to an "um" ending to match the gender
              -the first line shows the name before the "see" was listed as a
              Kurume in the Greer Gardens 1982 catalog
              -the fifth line shows the accepted name, followed by its synonyms in
              parentheses
              -the last three lines not being followed by "see" shows those are
              accepted names for three different plants, as listed in the
              International Rhododendron Register and Checklist of 2004
              -the lack of any group name on the last three lines shows the IRRC is
              not assigning them to any group such as Kurume or Kiusianum
              -the ? in the last line shows that the name in parentheses is
              probably a synonym for the name before the parentheses

              Some of the above synonymy is judgement calls on my part, some is
              supported by the IRRC.

              Regards,
              Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7