Re: [AZ] Raised bed of pea gravel and mushroom compost [1 Attachment]

  • michael.campbell3@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2010
      I just put in about 1000 sf of raised bed with mushroom compost as the primary ingredient with about 20% pulverized black dirt, 5" layer of peat moss, about 150 pounds of fireplace ash and tilled it all up.  I'm going to till in a few truckloads of lawn clippings and leaves then plant watermelons and asparagus beans.  I was hoping after this year the beds will "cool off" enough to plant azaleas in prepared holes (with perlite, bark and peat).
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2010
        I am a big vegetable and fruit grower too, and the sand here is perfect for that - rabbiteye bluberries, thornless blackberries trellised, two 50-foot vertical arbors of muscadine grapes (6 vines) and volunteer strawberries that are a hybrid of tame and wild.

        Your large bed does sound good for vegetables, but a little sweet (higher pH) for most native azaleas.  R. eastmanii, which can handle up to 6.8 pH, perhaps higher, would have no problem with the garden soil.

        The goal of my bed is to grow grow small rooted cuttings to a transplantable size and then be able to move them easier from loose pebbly media that has no competing roots from the natural soil.  Also several azaleas and rhododendrons near the bed are getting the benefits of water and nutrients from the raised gravel bed.  The bed seems to function additionally as a water trap (but not saturated) that slowly releases its water to the surrounding natural soil.  It might be wise to put such raised beds among plants in droughty soil, which my soil is.

        Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a